Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That is a pretty amazing way to do it too...I bet flying in is pretty crazy. Every time I see a plane take off at Indian Creek I feel like its gonna hit the mountain.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed...especially the Middle Fork...Main is awesome too...but the Jetboats are kind of a buzzkill. I did enjoy the one time we did the Jetboat shuttle. I have some friends that are doing one this year where they drive to Carey Creek and are jetboated back up and then float back to their cars...seems like a really nice way to to do it.

Me too...that sounds epic. I feel like there is potential for a river podcast similar to "The River Radius" but just for epic shuttle stories.
That’s what we’re doing in June on the Main. Floating down, jetting back up. Paying the extra cash to save almost 2 hours on the drive home and the ~450 miles on the cars.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
That’s what we’re doing in June on the Main. Floating down, jetting back up. Paying the extra cash to save almost 2 hours on the drive home and the ~450 miles on the cars.
We did it 4 years ago. Wouldn't do it every year, but sure enjoyed it.

you really have to have the "right size" trip. Enough people to pay for it, but not so many you're over weight. I think we had 12 and 4 boats in Arctic Lodge's boat. (3) x 6.0L Chevy motors. woopow!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
We did it 4 years ago. Wouldn't do it every year, but sure enjoyed it.

you really have to have the "right size" trip. Enough people to pay for it, but not so many you're over weight. I think we had 12 and 4 boats in Arctic Lodge's boat. (3) x 6.0L Chevy motors. woopow!
I was on a trip that we did the jetboat shuttle in 2017 and used that same Jetboat plus another one that ONLY had two V8's in it. The 3 motor one was definitely faster. I rode on the 2 motor one and both boats left at the same time but the 3 motor one was out of sight within minutes and was half unloaded by the time we got to Corn Creek. As I recall...I think they usually restrict it to 10 people and 4 rafts on each boat. I think its about $2k per jetboat. It depends on where they pick you up too. They picked us up at California Creek... I was bummed we didn't get to run Vinegar and Chitam.

I like the sound of the reverse of this...where you meet them before the trip at Vinegar or Carey Creek and they take you to Corn Creek and then you raft back to your vehicles.

Still kinda blows my mind that its 80 mile river run and 450 miles to drive it.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Guessing it was a late season trip. Is that how they got their MF permit?
As I recall, it may have been mid-late June, and pulled a permit for the MF and grabbed a preseason Main to put before it. It was in 2015 or so, I'll ask next time I see Dave.

·
My name isn't Will
270 Posts
We did the jet-up before our trip nine years ago. It does help with the RIGHT size group to make it pencil out cheaper than buying shuttles. None of our group wanted to spend a week running the river and then a couple hours running back, so we jetted first. It gave us a chance to look at the "new" rapids, too. Bring earplugs. I think logistically it's a little more difficult to jet up, but not much.

We had one couple do a shuttle as they were doing other traveling in the area, and they stocked us up on a bunch of fresh block and cube ice to top everyone off. That saved weight on the boat. Ice, food, and liquid refreshments can be heavy, so that can be a limitation for doing a jet up; a jet back will probably be lighter even though the groover will be full and there is trash to haul.

That was in July, and I think we were at about as low of a flow that he could get that three-engine jet up to the top.

·
sunshinesallie
13 Posts
Used Pat Sullivan / Central Idaho River Shuttles twice now. The first year our uhaul gear trailer had a flat as well as two of the vehicles that were driven to Cache Bar. The road is rough, we get it, didn’t complain.

I called the second year and told them what had happened and asked for a discount and maybe some extra goodies in the hand coolers they leave in the vehicles. They came through on both. Highly recommend

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
167 Posts
Used Pat Sullivan / Central Idaho River Shuttles twice now. The first year our uhaul gear trailer had a flat as well as two of the vehicles that were driven to Cache Bar. The road is rough, we get it, didn’t complain.

I called the second year and told them what had happened and asked for a discount and maybe some extra goodies in the hand coolers they leave in the vehicles. They came through on both. Highly recommend
I've used Pat @ CIRS for the last 4 trips on MF. Vehicle and trailer has always been happily waiting for me at the takeout. Highly recommend as well!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking for a company to shuttle a few trucks/trailers for a middle/main trip 5/29 launch. Boundary Creek to Carey Creek.
Also looking for an outfitter to rent 1-2 16' rafts from.
Whatcha recommend?
Blackadar was flawless on my Middle trip. We didn't rent boats, but PERFECT for shuttle, including dropping gear off to be flown in at Indian Creek. Couldn't have been happier with their performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dayummmm! That's dedication right there, and an awesome story!

Last time I turned the corner was one of my first multi day river trips. Communication was a few sentences via satellite phone on Friday, we were launching that Sunday.

I flew out from the Eagle Cap Wilderness into town, drove from Wallowa County, OR to Cache Bar. Got there at 2:30 am and realized I was at the take out. Got back in the car and drove to Boundary Creek.

I was supposed to meet someone in Upper Stanley to split a shuttle with. I got a voicemail as I rolled into town that he was bailing. I had a backup plan of getting a ride with a buddy who was on his first MFS training trip and was coming up from Salmon the day I was taking out.

Parked at Boundary 6:45 am, started rigging at 8:00 am.

Day two I found out we were going to Riggins, not Salmon. I paid the $15 to use the internet at Flying B for 10 minutes. I sent an email to (phonenumber)@VZWtexts.com, really hoping he had Verizon.

Took out in Riggins, called my buddy, at about 5:00 pm. He they said they were leaving Salmon at 10:30 the next morning. If I could get there in time, I could get a ride to the put in with them.

Trouble was, the crew I was with was going to Missoula and none of my friends there had any interest in driving me to Salmon.

Around 3:30 am I got out of the van in Lolo junction, took my pile of gear, and slept in the ditch next to the gas station there until sunrise.

I hitchhiked in 5 different cars before making it to Salmon. The SIM card in my phone shit the bed in this time, so I had to use whoever I was hitching with's phone to call my buddy.

When I finally got to the shop in Salmon, we were about to leave, and they told me there was no room in the truck. I rode in the top raft on a 3 stack on a trailer from Salmon to Boundary Creek.

Hell of a trip, I very much so understand the logistical difficulties of getting around Idaho.

This time, we're shuttling with All Rivers and renting from Cascade River Gear. We don't have time to add another day and are taking out at Carey Creek.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds like the OP has made a decision. For the record I have used both All Rivers and Blackadar for many years on middle/main trips and both are great. Had an issue with All Rivers once not returning the key in the right spot and probably 25 years ago there was a Blackadar driver who rode a vehicle pretty hard and put it away wet. Lately Blackadar seems to edge out the competition. Nice that they have a big parking lot in Salmon. They also seem to appreciate and even get excited about custom logistics involving planes, and wacky plans. On planes, you could also consider flying a couple people out from the Main on one of the lower airstrips back to Salmon so they can be then drive the vehicles back for the group. Blackadar would shuttle from Boundary to the Salmon Airport.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts