Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a company to shuttle a few trucks/trailers for a middle/main trip 5/29 launch. Boundary Creek to Carey Creek.
Also looking for an outfitter to rent 1-2 16' rafts from.
Whatcha recommend?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’ve used Idaho River Shuttles and All River Shuttles. If you rent gear and pay for shuttle you may get a discount from one place.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If you rent gear and pay for shuttle you may get a discount from one place.
Blackadar said they would only shuttle us if we rent gear from them. "I'd like $425 a vehicle but I guess I'd do it for $400". Their gear rental seems a little spendy, too.
16' boat rental with groover, dry bags, and fire pan at $190/day. Looks like their shuttle and gear rentals are more expensive than anyone else, even when combined.

For reference, most other places are charging $105 a day for boat but it doesn't come with groover and dry bags ($30 value) ... $135 is still considerably less than $190

All Rivers, FYI.
"UPDATE: Summer 2021 – we are not running vehicles from Boundary to Cache Bar this season – only if you have a combo and go from Boundary to Carey Creek. "
Shuttle cost: $320/vehicle.

River Shuttles: $375/ vehicle.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
All Rivers, FYI.
"UPDATE: Summer 2021 – we are not running vehicles from Boundary to Cache Bar this season – only if you have a combo and go from Boundary to Carey Creek. "
Shuttle cost: $320/vehicle.

River Shuttles: $375/ vehicle.
Think about their relative locations. All Rivers is in Whitebird, and it's easy for them to do a Boundary to Carey run.
If they are doing Boundary to Cache, they're driving 6h to Boundary to get your rig, 5h to take it to Cache, and another 7h to get home.

Blackadar is in the middle between Boundary and Cache, and a MFS shuttle is a day's work for them.
A combo is a lot farther, so is a Main.

Their respective pricing reflects that reality.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I entirely understand that but my budget is more important to me than their location.
Rental from Cascade River Gear and shuttle with All Rivers is $400 a person.
Rental and Shuttle from Blackadar is $700 a person.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I don't disagree a bit.

They are a small business and have to stay afloat
They also have to be competitive.
The open market will dictate that and you voting with your dollars makes a difference.

Have an amazing trip!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That whole area is super frustrating from a shuttle standpoint just due to no road access and the distances you have to drive to get around the wilderness area. Fortunately its also easier and shorter to go from Boundary to Carey then it is from Boundary to Cache.

Rough life...but I have two back to back trips...one Main and Lower Salmon and then a MFS with some other friends. If I bring my Dory on the Main/Lower trip...I have to find somewhere to store it that works logistically with picking it up after the MFS trip. Not ready to take an 18' Dory down the MFS.

It would be easy if it was a "turn the corner" since I'd just store it in Riggins...but since that is unlikely, we'll be taking out at Cache so I'll need to figure out how to get it to somewhere on that side of the Frank Church wilderness...otherwise it means driving like 7 hours and hundreds of miles in the wrong direction. Either way I'll have to do some "driving in the wrong direction"...but trying to figure out the most efficient way to do so is "non-trivial". Worth it...but also a pain in the ass.

As to your original question... I've had Pat at Central Idaho River Shuttles do that shuttle for me multiple times. Honestly...add a day and go to Shorts Bar just outside of Riggins. Some fun rapids and pretty country and it saves a bit of money (they knock $30-50 per vehicle off I think).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That whole area is super frustrating from a shuttle standpoint just due to no road access and the distances you have to drive to get around the wilderness area. Fortunately its also easier and shorter to go from Boundary to Carey then it is from Boundary to Cache.

Rough life...but I have two back to back trips...one Main and Lower Salmon and then a MFS with some other friends. If I bring my Dory on the Main/Lower trip...I have to find somewhere to store it that works logistically with picking it up after the MFS trip. Not ready to take an 18' Dory down the MFS.

It would be easy if it was a "turn the corner" since I'd just store it in Riggins...but since that is unlikely, we'll be taking out at Cache so I'll need to figure out how to get it to somewhere on that side of the Frank Church wilderness...otherwise it means driving like 7 hours and hundreds of miles in the wrong direction. Either way I'll have to do some "driving in the wrong direction"...but trying to figure out the most efficient way to do so is "non-trivial". Worth it...but also a pain in the ass.

As to your original question... I've had Pat at Central Idaho River Shuttles do that shuttle for me multiple times. Honestly...add a day and go to Shorts Bar just outside of Riggins. Some fun rapids and pretty country and it saves a bit of money (they knock $30-50 per vehicle off I think).
Last time I turned the corner was one of my first multi day river trips. Communication was a few sentences via satellite phone on Friday, we were launching that Sunday.

I flew out from the Eagle Cap Wilderness into town, drove from Wallowa County, OR to Cache Bar. Got there at 2:30 am and realized I was at the take out. Got back in the car and drove to Boundary Creek.

I was supposed to meet someone in Upper Stanley to split a shuttle with. I got a voicemail as I rolled into town that he was bailing. I had a backup plan of getting a ride with a buddy who was on his first MFS training trip and was coming up from Salmon the day I was taking out.

Parked at Boundary 6:45 am, started rigging at 8:00 am.

Day two I found out we were going to Riggins, not Salmon. I paid the $15 to use the internet at Flying B for 10 minutes. I sent an email to (phonenumber)@VZWtexts.com, really hoping he had Verizon.

Took out in Riggins, called my buddy, at about 5:00 pm. He they said they were leaving Salmon at 10:30 the next morning. If I could get there in time, I could get a ride to the put in with them.

Trouble was, the crew I was with was going to Missoula and none of my friends there had any interest in driving me to Salmon.

Around 3:30 am I got out of the van in Lolo junction, took my pile of gear, and slept in the ditch next to the gas station there until sunrise.

I hitchhiked in 5 different cars before making it to Salmon. The SIM card in my phone shit the bed in this time, so I had to use whoever I was hitching with's phone to call my buddy.

When I finally got to the shop in Salmon, we were about to leave, and they told me there was no room in the truck. I rode in the top raft on a 3 stack on a trailer from Salmon to Boundary Creek.

Hell of a trip, I very much so understand the logistical difficulties of getting around Idaho.

This time, we're shuttling with All Rivers and renting from Cascade River Gear. We don't have time to add another day and are taking out at Carey Creek.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Last time I turned the corner was one of my first multi day river trips. Communication was a few sentences via satellite phone on Friday, we were launching that Sunday.

I flew out from the Eagle Cap Wilderness into town, drove from Wallowa County, OR to Cache Bar. Got there at 2:30 am and realized I was at the take out. Got back in the car and drove to Boundary Creek.

I was supposed to meet someone in Upper Stanley to split a shuttle with. I got a voicemail as I rolled into town that he was bailing. I had a backup plan of getting a ride with a buddy who was on his first MFS training trip and was coming up from Salmon the day I was taking out.

Parked at Boundary 6:45 am, started rigging at 8:00 am.

Day two I found out we were going to Riggins, not Salmon. I paid the $15 to use the internet at Flying B for 10 minutes. I sent an email to (phonenumber)@VZWtexts.com, really hoping he had Verizon.

Took out in Riggins, called my buddy, at about 5:00 pm. He they said they were leaving Salmon at 10:30 the next morning. If I could get there in time, I could get a ride to the put in with them.

Trouble was, the crew I was with was going to Missoula and none of my friends there had any interest in driving me to Salmon.

Around 3:30 am I got out of the van in Lolo junction, took my pile of gear, and slept in the ditch next to the gas station there until sunrise.

I hitchhiked in 5 different cars before making it to Salmon. The SIM card in my phone shit the bed in this time, so I had to use whoever I was hitching with's phone to call my buddy.

When I finally got to the shop in Salmon, we were about to leave, and they told me there was no room in the truck. I rode in the top raft on a 3 stack on a trailer from Salmon to Boundary Creek.

Hell of a trip, I very much so understand the logistical difficulties of getting around Idaho.

This time, we're shuttling with All Rivers and renting from Cascade River Gear. We don't have time to add another day and are taking out at Carey Creek.
That's real dedication.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've always used Blackadar for shuttles because they are good people and run a top-notch service... just my two cents... but, I can understand that you have some extra factors in your decision making.

I've never had cause to rent much, but last year a couple in our group used Idaho River Rentals to fill in a few gaps, and they had a great experience. Idaho River Rentals is a relatively new company (and has nice new gear) and is run by two really good folks. Seemed like great service and good prices.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That's also what makes it a special place :)
Agreed...especially the Middle Fork...Main is awesome too...but the Jetboats are kind of a buzzkill. I did enjoy the one time we did the Jetboat shuttle. I have some friends that are doing one this year where they drive to Carey Creek and are jetboated back up and then float back to their cars...seems like a really nice way to to do it.

I wanna boat with you just to hear the long version!!!
Me too...that sounds epic. I feel like there is potential for a river podcast similar to "The River Radius" but just for epic shuttle stories.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts