Mountain Buzz banner

Middle in October

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  boicatr 
#1 ·
Anyone float middle/main in October? What is too low? Thinking about fishing or solo kayaking it? Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Never to low

I've done the middle down to 550cfs off the top with an 176R Aire boat with loaded boxes and required gear. Like carvedog says, it's really up to you and how good you are at getting off rocks. Seems like I was always stuck in pinball and of course just below trail flat camp in that little shitty one above the chutes, and then of course there is the chutes. But other than that it really isn't that bad. The main salmon never gets too low as mentioned. If you are going to kayak or IK the whole way down you won't have any problems. Go lean and mean and fish your ass off. The solitude would be great that time of year!

#5 ·
Flying in maybe easier, I never have on a private. When we flew in commercial trips it was such a gigantic pain in the ass I just can't imagine it unless I am getting paid. There is some awesome fishing up top too.

I know I can scrape down from Boundary. We launched once at 1.45 ( 450 cfs or so) with two of us, full load going 8 days and a 90 lb golden. Yes we got stuck pretty hard a couple of times but that is the way I roll….or get stuck that is. It might get that low but it's not looking like it at this point. The fishing is usually better early in October. It can be quite chilly. After getting caught in a short and violent snow storm in September I carry ski goggles in the fall……YMMV.

#8 ·
Flows should not be your concern, rather the weather is. It can be nice Indian summer, or ..... Days of cold and wet. Coldest day I ever spent on a river was on an oct mf, rained over an inch and snow line was about 300 feet up the hill. We take a wall tent with wood stove! Have a good plan for being able to "hole up" and get dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.