Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer, but wanted to hear what others thought.

COVID sucks, lost a job. Lots of free time. I can jump on a middle fork cancellation because I have no job, most friends cannot. I've run the middle fork 3 times, 2 times behind the oars. I know the river OK, thinking I can try a solo support trip. I feel good in my boats, but always have a team...

I could also run my 16' or my 13.5 kat. I'd run my kat for my solo run.

Is this stupid?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love running solo but obviously it comes with risks. Personally those risks are worth it to me. And on the Middle Fork are you really ever alone?

·
Registered
297 Posts
At lower flows, packing light and a smaller, nimble craft, it wouldn’t bother me much.

High water, no fucking way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stupid? That depends on your ability to self-rescue, and not become a liability to anyone else. There have been many solo trips on the MFS. We once had a kayaker run the whole river, solo, the day before we launch on a 4 day trip. He must have been bored on our trip.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've run a few solo trips in the Middle Fork. One at 6.6'.
There's risk in anything.
If you're confident in your skills, I say do it.

Ben

·
Registered
133 Posts
5 out of 6 players of Russian Roulette say it is perfectly safe.
Gamblers gotta calculate risks. What are the odds? AND what are the STAKES?
What will I wish I'd done? (Or what will I wish I hadn't!)
What would I advise somebody else to do?
I crave solo on the land. But I'm a wussie on the water. Stakes are kinda high for me.
Skydiving, your odds are 40,000:1 that you're gonna open one of your 2 parachutes.
Those are mighty good odds! But the stakes are kinda high for me. YMMD. (Splat!)
Too many EZ times, one more competent person did, or would have, made the difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A number of years ago some friends and I were spending the night in Copper Hill, TN at a B&B owned by 1992 C-2 gold medalist Joe Jacobi and his wife. Before going for some supper we got into a conversation about paddling whitewater by yourself. He shared a story when he was paddling the Ocoee River by himself. He was surfing a hole that he surfed all the time with no problems. This time was different, however and he could not get out of the hole. In fact he was getting trashed pretty bad and was losing strength. Fortunately, there was a bystander on the rocks close by who could see he was in trouble. That person got as close as he could and Joe was able to get one end of his paddle to the guy and the guy was able to pull him off the hole. Joe made his point!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts