Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I launch on July 28 and take out on Aug 5. The big question is: should I take my 14' Maravia raft or my 16' Hyside Cat. Taking one over the other might allow me to offer the group another raft to use. We have 15 people and only 3 rafts-- rest are duckies and kayaks.:cool: Is the Hyside too big for low water?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Both will boats will do fine if not too heavily loaded and not blown up hard. A 16 ft cat is not a big boat on the MFS. When you think things are looking tight, remember that there is a rather large sweep boat not too far in front of you and there is another one not too far behind you. The cat will allow you to straddle a few rocks on the upper section.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, I agree here, either is great. Just make sure when you rig your raft you don't sit anything on the floor. Rig with a beaver tail (a cut piece of plywood) on the back so all the weight is on the big tubs and not the floor. This will allow you to slurp over the rocks on the top end without (cross your fingers) getting a hole. Have a blast the fishing should be AMAZING that time of year with the water we're going to have. (or lack there of)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Second the above advice. Suspend your gear in the raft, and run softer tubes on either the raft or cataraft. Softer tubes allows you to "slime" over rocks better. Have a great trip, it's an awesome river.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts