Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on a Aug 9th launch for the Middle Fork. Have run the Middle at 4.24'. What are the projected flows and any low water info? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
2 feet or 1.9 feet. 900 cfs maybe, something like that. Low enough that you want to bring your A game. Lots of low water threads. I have seen people at that level just have a great time and then some who can't see three moves downstream just have their ass handed to them. At least on the first 20 miles.

It is class 3 to 3+ but several rapids turn into long complicated rock gardens that you have to keep looking and setting up for well ahead of time. Consider flying in gear if this doesn't sound appealing. I have introduced several to low water Middle Forking who like tight technical boating and they did fine.
There are good lines through almost everything at that level but if you got off line you could have a bad day.
The high volume class 3 to 4 guys who have never looked at a picket fence of rocks and thought "which is the least offensive place to get stuck here?" don't have such a good time.

Bring polarized glasses - it helps. And lots of flies the fishing should be great.
Bring a pin kit and know how to use it. If you are concerned about your abilities with a fully loaded boat in potentially ass kicking rock gardens, try to fly in as much as you can. Your honest appraisal of your skill level will be your best friend.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
2 feet or 1.9 feet. 900 cfs maybe, something like that. Low enough that you want to bring your A game. Lots of low water threads. I have seen people at that level just have a great time and then some who can't see three moves downstream just have their ass handed to them. At least on the first 20 miles.

It is class 3 to 3+ but several rapids turn into long complicated rock gardens that you have to keep looking and setting up for well ahead of time. Consider flying in gear if this doesn't sound appealing. I have introduced several to low water Middle Forking who like tight technical boating and they did fine.
There are good lines through almost everything at that level but if you got off line you could have a bad day.
The high volume class 3 to 4 guys who have never looked at a picket fence of rocks and thought "which is the least offensive place to get stuck here?" don't have such a good time.

Bring polarized glasses - it helps. And lots of flies the fishing should be great.
Bring a pin kit and know how to use it. If you are concerned about your abilities with a fully loaded boat in potentially ass kicking rock gardens, try to fly in as much as you can. Your honest appraisal of your skill level will be your best friend.
What he said.
We launch Sept. 6 at Indian Creek. I'm guessing 1.6-1.7 and hoping for 1.8. 2 feet would be nirvana. You will get stuck....how many times, for how long, and with what consequences are up to you & the river gods. It's a beautiful trip. Try to adopt a zen-like attitude towards the many rocks. Run your tubes a little soft and have a great time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cataraftgirl, Who do you use to fly into Indian Creek. We are looking to try and go light up top and have some gear flown into Indian Creek. Prefferably drop our gear off in Stanley and have it flown out of there. I ran it at 4.24' the end of June 2012. How many days to reach Indian Creek at about 2'. What kind of mileage can we get per day at these flows. Thanks Cain

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Cataraftgirl, Who do you use to fly into Indian Creek. We are looking to try and go light up top and have some gear flown into Indian Creek. Prefferably drop our gear off in Stanley and have it flown out of there. I ran it at 4.24' the end of June 2012. How many days to reach Indian Creek at about 2'. What kind of mileage can we get per day at these flows. Thanks Cain
We have always used Salmon Air from Salmon, but I think we are using someone else this year out of Challis???? Not sure who the trip leader has set us up with. We do 8 day/7nights from Indian Creek with two layovers.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
We have always used Salmon Air from Salmon, but I think we are using someone else this year out of Challis???? Not sure who the trip leader has set us up with. We do 8 day/7nights from Indian Creek with two layovers.
MF Aviation most likely. They fly out of Challis and are typically $150 cheaper. Good folks too.

7 nights from Indian with two layovers??? Tough schedule. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
MF Aviation most likely. They fly out of Challis and are typically $150 cheaper. Good folks too.

7 nights from Indian with two layovers??? Tough schedule. :rolleyes:
Yep. It's too beautiful a place to rush through. We like to hang out on the river as long as possible. Plus I get to fish on layover days. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts