Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RogueBoater
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So… my husband and I gearing up for our MFS trip on July 3rd. This will be our first MF trip and we’re getting mixed reviews about how light we should be packing. It sounds like the flow will be around 3’ (give or take)? At this flow, is it prudent to bring all the conveniences or should we consider pairing down? We will be in a 16’ cat. Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
312 Posts
At 3' you can take it all. I still take it all in August at 2'. A Boundry Creek launch is the only way to go imho.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
2' isn't bad, 3 is great. You won't have any problem. just pack warm First couple of days can be cold.
Yep....bring some warm clothes. I went at about 2.5 feet one year on July 5th and about froze the first two nights. Have a great trip. I'm jealous....I don't get to do the Middle Fork until September....if there's any water left.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
First trip? Gonna be difficult. I can guide you for a spot on your permit. :)

I've run that weekend and had total shit " i wish i had a bimini" at 3.5 and also ran mid July at 2.2 with oh my god this is the best weather ever. It can change overnight so be prepared. First two nights are at some decent elevation so be sure to have a good sleeping bag and a dry tent

NO COTTON. FLEECE ONLY AND DRIFIT TOPS. SPLASHWEAR. WETSUITS. ****** HAT FOR NIGHTS AND SLEEPING.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You can take it all. Have a blast, it's a wonderful place.

I love cotton in camp, so comfy as long as it's not raining.

·
RogueBoater
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses!
I was disappointed to hear that the VW bus won't be allowed on this trip, but glad that normal conveniences won't pose a problem! ;)

In terms of the weather... thanks for the good advice. We'll make sure to bring plenty of warm clothing and weather gear. Lately it seems like all of our trips have been in the rain and cold... Is it too much to hope that we might actually see the sun on this trip?

Anyway, I've been doing my homework, but would appreciate any other words of wisdom you might have.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
At that flow i'd worry about the rapid just about a mile before pistol, and there are some wrap opportunities if a shallow rock spins and misdirects your boat in some of the more technical spots. When in doubt, scout. Have a great trip!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts