Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any beta on the mf of the flathead river in montana. Want to do a 4 to 7 day trip out there. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
207 Posts
From what I've heard, it's a great trip- similar to the Selway in the sense that is long, roadless, and class IV. I don't have the Montana guidebook with me at the moment, but from what I remember, getting to the put-in requires some logistics and the whole float is typically a 3 day endeavor. Go to montanasurf.com and buy the guidebook or I also remember CKS having it on sale on their website. Have fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hope this helps

I lived in Missoula for 7 years and I have only been down the lower part of MF of Flathead in a raft, but here are some places to look and call for more info. Everyone out there is really great. Have fun!

CONTACT BOARD OF MISSOULA
618 S. Higgins Ave.
Missoula, Montana 59801
phone: 406-721-7774 fax: 406-721-4258

http://www.allaboutrivers.com/guides/outputdescriver.cfm?rivername=Flathead River-Middle Fork

5. Middle Fork of the Flathead River, Montana. This Class II-IV glacial river rips through the remote Bob Marshall Wilderness from the Canadian border along the western edge of Glacier National Park. Remote and federally protected, it's best run as a multiday trip between early June and mid-July. Call Flathead National Forest, 406-387-5243.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Middle Flathead is a nice trip that can be done at a variety of water levels. At high flows the rapids in the upper section run together for some continuous IV. At lower flows they are technical boulder drops (fine for a kayak and challenging for rafts). The normal putin is Shaffer Meadows. You can fly in from Kalispell (try Eagle Aviation). You can also hike or horse pack in to a point a few miles below SM.

Four days will be plenty. To do 7 days you will have to hike a lot. There are nice writeups in Western Whitewater and the Montana guide. It is a great wilderness trip but not a rompen stompen whitewater trip.

Write back if you need more info and have a fun trip,

Ethan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts