Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to run the Middle Fork of the Salmon River on June 9th at 4.25 feet. This was an amazing level, would've liked to seen it higher, and a great first trip. If you haven't done it yet, I highly recommend that you beg any friend that gets a permit or put in for one yourself! Who else has done the MFS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xePNniM3e9Y&t=108s

·
Super Moderator
2,903 Posts
Watched the whole vid. Looks like you had a blast. I flipped on that same eddy line in Pistol. Only I had six IKs following me and they all took turns running me over every time I rolled up. Actually thought I was going to swim out of the eddy. Good times.

Glad you received some Middle Fork love.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Great video! We launched on the 9th as well. Chalkboard read 4.4?? Anyway, great level. 2 weeks later at about a foot lower it was a completely different river, but still fun. Bugs tore me a new one...very stoked because i got to do my first middle/Main on the first trip. We did a layover across from sunflower on both trips.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great video! We launched on the 9th as well. Chalkboard read 4.4?? Anyway, great level. 2 weeks later at about a foot lower it was a completely different river, but still fun. Bugs tore me a new one...very stoked because i got to do my first middle/Main on the first trip. We did a layover across from sunflower on both trips.
4.4... sure, and it actually rose from rain that night as well. We camped at Pistol 1st night. 30 miles in one day is a haul! We had 21 people, but I still felt like I had it to myself for the most part.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pistol definitely has some tricky currents. A few kayakers on my trip flipped there. Luckily, we had no swims the entire trip. 21 people total, and everyone had their heads screwed on right!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Nice video, that is one of the best trips. My group was soo lucky for so long that I thought going to Idaho was a yearly occurrence. Being skunked the last two years has been sad and some people are still waiting for their first trip after years of applying. Come on 2019 lottery...or maybe some pre-permit trips.

Good to see the fake news and stoke propaganda!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great video! ?? on low water MFS

Thanks for the video! We are going 8/14-8/19 I assume the water will be lower. What boat do you recommend? Playboat; Jackson SuperStar or more of a river runner Daggar; Axiom? We mostly paddle the Eagle, playboats until Dowd gets over 4.5-5, Wondering if my wife and daughter might want to kayak some, they are ok in Shoshone and the Upper C, thinking there might be some sections they'll want to paddle. Then I can bring both my boats.

Thanks, Campo

·
Registered
300 Posts
....or put in for one yourself!
]
They put up a dam a few weeks ago down at the Main confluence. The MFS is a lake now. It should be a fantastic bass fishery soon.

All the trees were logged or burned down and the mountains strip mined to flat nubs.

Flying B Ranch is now a Walmart.

Glad you got on it while it was still there.

So move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Playboat for sure. The Jackson Superstar is one of the best playboats ever made for longer river trips since it's so comfortable and still fast on waves.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The ass never falls far from the hole!

Now that I got your attention (best meme heard in years) ...just wanted you all to know, although I'm not a hardshell yakker (never learned to roll) in addition to decades of raft & ducky exp., professional bartending & musician.....I LOOOOOVE hauling ALL YR YAKJKER CRAP, dogs, etc so you can play worry free! (Got references re., how seriously I take dog(s) rescue; even when they choose to jump out in middle of low water, day one rock garden, MF.)
HELP!!! I am melting!!! Hit me up, PLEASE!
(Will also duck anything I'm willing to swim....I remember paddling in & around the room of doom, 15 years ago on fall WW trip.) An hour, a week, happy to row low water salmon...even well after permit season!
Need more river time....super flexible schedule, live in mtns near Boulder, CO.

Please text direct:303 642-0823 Karen

Promise you won't regret calling me...I might, but you won't!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'd be more into taking an Axiom or Nirvana type boat for comfort and being a little faster downriver with the lower flows. This trip is beautiful and fun. It's nice to be away from real civilization for a while!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts