Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flying into Schaeffer meadows next week and wondering if anybody has been down there recently and can comment on the wood situation and etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? Anybody? Also wondering about campsites. We have 4-5 days to do the 35 miles, so any info on the good spots would be appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What day are you flying in? We are flying on the 7th for 4 nights. If you are going to be off by then maybe let me know whats up with stacks O' Wood.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
It's a short run and you have a lot of time. Take a layover day at a good hiking spot. You can see the sandy beaches from satellite imagery. Watch out for bears and take out at below the salt lick run. With all the time you are taking it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
There are several outfitters that run up there, you could try them. I usually talk to Glacier Guides in West Glacier. They are always helfpull and very knowledgeable about the area. I don't know if they outfit on the Middle Fork but they would surely know who does...

I'm jealous, that's next on our list... How much are your flights if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Hadn't thought about bears - good reason to bring the dog! Sounds like the essex bridge take-out is better than Paola? We are taking out on Sunday the 6th and I can post an update here if that works for you farmer.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Hadn't thought about bears - good reason to bring the dog! Sounds like the essex bridge take-out is better than Paola? We are taking out on Sunday the 6th and I can post an update here if that works for you farmer.
I think your required to hang your food or have bear proof containers. You might want to check into the regs before you go. Not to mention you don't want to have a problem with one while on the river.

When we floated the SF we hung our cooler, table, dry box, dog food and garbage every night.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
It's grizzly country up there. Nothing to scoff at. We saw hundreds of bear tracks (obviously not from hundreds of bears) while hiking in last year. Mostly grizzly.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
There was a major avalanche at Goat Lick this winter, and according to a friend of mine, there was still a 20' high wall of snow a couple of weeks ago. Should be cool to float past.

The roadside run is still at 12k, so a bit blown out for decent whitewater, but it's dropped enough to run clear and not muddy.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
There was a major avalanche at Goat Lick this winter, and according to a friend of mine, there was still a 20' high wall of snow a couple of weeks ago. Should be cool to float past.

The roadside run is still at 12k, so a bit blown out for decent whitewater, but it's dropped enough to run clear and not muddy.
What's the deal with the West Glacier run? Might run it with my sister here in about 2 weeks but don't really know what we're getting into. She's got a roll but hasn't paddled anything as cold or as high volume as the MFF. Just trying to get a feel for how hard the run might be.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
It's a gem. Just like the Gallatin. Super easy class III. I would say it's a tiny bit easier than the Gallatin--less busy, fewer but larger rapids, easy to read and run, but a lot colder.

By that time, it will have dropped into really fun flows. If she's still not up for kayaking, my raft's available.

I haven't kayaked it a ton in past years (caught that Lochsa bug), but my 12yo wants to hit it in an inflatable. Look me up.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
It's a gem. Just like the Gallatin. Super easy class III. I would say it's a tiny bit easier than the Gallatin--less busy, fewer but larger rapids, easy to read and run, but a lot colder.

By that time, it will have dropped into really fun flows. If she's still not up for kayaking, my raft's available.

I haven't kayaked it a ton in past years (caught that Lochsa bug), but my 12yo wants to hit it in an inflatable. Look me up.
According to the forecast, t's going to drop from high this weekend through perfect midweek to super friendly after next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was great! We flew in with mission mountain aviation out of Ronan and they are great. Flow was a good moderate level. All the wood has been cut out, but there is still the one log jam that requires a hard move right to get around. They want you to have a fire pan and groover but they don't check you in like on most permitted rivers. Saw one griz from the river but no trouble in camp. I would for sure bring bear spray and keep a clean camp. Not a lot of established campsites - we used dry side channels. Mosquitoes were kinda bad but not horrible. Lots of annoying flys but they don't bite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Running the West Glacier stretch this afternoon. Woo hoo!
Buddy of mine was on the same stretch all weekend and said it's clear, cold, and fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts