Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy. I have been fortunate enough to receive a permit July 10-18th for a middle fork trip. This will be a first time for all 6 of us going. River levels are forecasted to be at or just below 2' I believe, which should make for a slow start. Anyways I was hoping to get some advice on a rough pace we should aim for. As a smaller group we do get an extra day which I have learned we can use to layover at a camp for a day to hike or tributary fishing (gleaned that Big Creek, Funston, Rock Island, Jackass, Camas could all be good layover spots.) I am thinking 10-15 miles the first day. up to 20 miles a day thereafter. I am guessing the lower 2/3rds of river 20 miles should take about 4-5 hours to do. Upper river makes me wonder. Any indication on Pace would be super helpful. What do you all aim to cover a day?

On another note, should we be thinking about Indian creek fly in for forecasted levels? Thank you for your thoughts!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am sure there will be others who post on this subject. My experience has always been low water. Last year I ran it at 1.65' in September. We usually started out by 9am or so in the morning and were off by 3. We took the full allotted time and I think we averaged 12-15 miles per day doing so. But we also stopped and fished along the way. You shouldnt have any problems around the 2' mark in my opinion in the upper area. Our goal each time we go is to camp at Dolly Lake on the second day. Depending on when we actually get on the river the first day we might only get to Big Bend (this is predicated on where we stay the day before we launch). Hope this helps. Have a great trip !

·
Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
197 Posts
Ahoy. I have been fortunate enough to receive a permit July 10-18th for a middle fork trip. This will be a first time for all 6 of us going. River levels are forecasted to be at or just below 2' I believe, which should make for a slow start. Anyways I was hoping to get some advice on a rough pace we should aim for. As a smaller group we do get an extra day which I have learned we can use to layover at a camp for a day to hike or tributary fishing (gleaned that Big Creek, Funston, Rock Island, Jackass, Camas could all be good layover spots.) I am thinking 10-15 miles the first day. up to 20 miles a day thereafter. I am guessing the lower 2/3rds of river 20 miles should take about 4-5 hours to do. Upper river makes me wonder. Any indication on Pace would be super helpful. What do you all aim to cover a day?

On another note, should we be thinking about Indian creek fly in for forecasted levels? Thank you for your thoughts!

For the first day I'd aim for Trail Flat or Elkhorn Bar. The second day maybe Dolly Lake or Pistol Creek. After that you shouldn't have too much of an issue getting miles in.

FYI were launching on the 9th so maybe we'll cross paths depending on camps etc. I have no intention on flying into Indian. The upper section is a wonderful kind of special when the flows drop and not to be missed!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since this will be the first time for your group I recommend that you scout Sulphur Slide (river left), Lake Creek and Pistol Creek (river right) and that you run Velvet on the far left. There is a nice eddy just above the drop behind a big boulder. Follow the guide book at The Chutes and Powerhouse. If the FS is still using email for camp selections don't be disappointed if you don't get the best camps. Small groups are at a disadvantage when it comes to getting the larger camps. Last year there were several nights when we did not get our first second or third choices and we were a group of 13. Camas Creek is an awesome camp and the fishing is usually very good. But it is always in high demand. Cheers!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sweeps can't land in low water at Camas so the outfitters won't take that one. Big creek is very small I've stayed there with 4 people but outfitters are constantly stopping there running guests up the creek. You'd be better off at fly camp. Hopefully the small beaches got a boost with this year's flow but I doubt it. All beaches other than elk bar were drastically reduced last year in the lower canyon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. All are very helpful. We certainly dont want to miss the top and I am happy to hear there will still be plenty of water to get down. Thw level and pace suggestions are as I expected but having never been I wanted to be doubly sure. I just received a copy of Matt Leideckers guide so feeling alot more confident between above suggestions and this book.

I will keep an eye out for you IDriverRunner. We should be easy to pick out, 6 overly excited men acting like school boys. Thanks Nolichuck and Riverwild on insight to Big Creek and Camas. Sound like big creek is a great spot, just not a great camping spot.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts