Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most current predictions have the road to Boundary Creek open by this weekend. I have the permit but not the group. Any high water experienced M.F. boaters looking for a trip?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Last I heard it was not looking good anytime soon, Stanley is getting more snow out of this newest storm as well. I hope you're right and would love to know who is doing the predicting?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The most current predictions have the road to Boundary Creek open by this weekend. I have the permit but not the group. Any high water experienced M.F. boaters looking for a trip?
Who's predictions? I have a June 3rd MFS permit and would love any info you can pass along.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not word my post correctly. I apologize fir the mistake. What I meant to say is it should be open by the weekend of the 31st of May. The day that my permit is for. I have been following the discussions on the Idaho Whitewater site. Many of the folks on that site have been following M.F. openings for years. Besides I think the commercial folks will dig it out if they have to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
cahatch52, can you post a link to that discussion? I am on a trip in the middle of June and would like to get more info. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Hrumph! Time to quit snowing down there! Good warming forecast in the area starting next week.

Flipit -just go to the Idahowhitewater Yahoo group.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
I did not word my post correctly. I apologize fir the mistake. What I meant to say is it should be open by the weekend of the 31st of May. The day that my permit is for. I have been following the discussions on the Idaho Whitewater site. Many of the folks on that site have been following M.F. openings for years. Besides I think the commercial folks will dig it out if they have to.
Why would you think the commercial folks will dig it out? They haven't in the last ten years. And their operating rules are far more restrictive than private boaters in terms of the scope of what they can do.

I have 4 times now and even if the Fir Creek Summit is open(able) they are some rather large avalanche debris piles - at least three according to bshatch who snowmobiled in late March. He does this every year at this time and he said they were the biggest he has seen.

Last year when we opened the road the first slide debris pile at the bottom of Fir Creek grade towards Bear Valley was big enough on May 16th that we nearly had to dig it out to get around. And that was without the snowpack we have this year. Don't count on anything. Particularly not 10 or 15 guides spending a day shoveling on the pass.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have read where the Hughes guides have dug it out before. Anyway, the commercials would need to do something. Missing the early season runs would most likely kill any profit margin that they hoped to make. Barry told me all about the slides.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
A shuttle company sent these photos to me, from Friday evening, apparently before codycleve posted his.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Oh that looks better than I thought it would. You are looking much better for the end of the month driving in. Of course it snowed over the weekend but not a ton.
And warming this week.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Oh that looks better than I thought it would. You are looking much better for the end of the month driving in. Of course it snowed over the weekend but not a ton.
And warming this week.
So happy to hear this! Wish you could come with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
An update on my post. The May 31st launch has been moved to June 12. Got lucky with a cancellation. Unless the weather gets strange the 12th launch should be on the backside of the season peak.
Craig

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey my name is mike I'm looking to join a trip on th mf.
This will be the 11 th year on the mf I'm a long time raft guide in Alaska who happens to live in lake city co..... My number is 970-901-2829 .... I've only done the middle fork In may and June ..... I prefer marsh creek to dagger....lets go boating

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey does any one have room on there trip ( safety boater), I live in lake city co. I've been a river nut for 27 years ......... Call me if you have room .... Thanks. Mike camp. 970- 901-2829

1 - 16 of 16 Posts