Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

I'm about to start packing gear for a January trip down the Grand and cant decide to take my tent or mega-mid instead. I usually pack along a bivy anyway and use the mid to cover gear... plus, it packs easier and is way lighter than my tent, leaving more room for beer and party favors.

how are the critters down in the Canyon at this time of year? Anything to worry about?

thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Always ringtail cats (not really cats, they're related to raccoons). They mainly like sweet food though. But I wouldn't risk it with anything.

I had my mid last winter. It worked great till an epic windstorm at Tanner blew it over and there was no hope in setting back up in that wind. I slept in the ledges with the scorpions and spiders that night. This January/February I'm taking a tent. But you could probably get by with that combo. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might bring my mid also as a changing room/gear storage area.

·
Registered
487 Posts
tent

I would reccomend a tent, a decent sized one. I never sleep in a tent, I always opt for the ground, to see the stars, and that is where I often end after a good campfire.

O a december tent, I slept in my tent about half the time. I was nice to have a little warmth and be able to sprawl out and sleep. Not to mention avoiding the morning dew. Assuming you arent going super light whats a 6 pound tent with all the aother bs you'll bring.

scott

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the weight. Assuming that the tent is free standing it is nice at places like ledge camps to not have to deal with staking and having a mid blown over. But in truth either will work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts