Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on potential river in mid April. We are planning a long weekend trip and coming from the Denver/Laramie area, willing to travel up to 8 hours or so. Anything class 3-4 range. Permitted runs or non permitted suggestions would be appreciated. Overnighter trips also doable.

We did Lower Toas box last year which was good, but would like to branch out. As it is so early in the season I am guessing that southern Utah, Arizona and New Mexico would be our best bets.

Thoughts? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Look at the Virgin River in Utah. Zion Narrows, Temple of Sinawava, Virgin River (Bloomington) Gorge...I was hoping to make a trip that way this year too.
Arizona will be Feb. and March, if I had to guess,
and NM will most likely be late April, or even May before it starts....
(depending on the weather)

·
Registered
614 Posts
The NM Rio Grande has an early peak due to valley melt beating the irrigators. It happened the end of March last year. The big peak from high elevation snow happens in May.

·
Registered
698 Posts

.....tumbler, don't forget about the gunny gorge....it would be wise to check road closures prior to making plans......you can look into the MONUMENT SECTION of the BLACK CANYON and be thankful you don;t have to drop nto that....gorge secton is nice, good camping, great fishing with cool refreshing water....junior ranger 420 cb.........

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
April is about the time the shit outside of laramie is good all kinds of what you are looking for as well as beginning creeking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts