Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm back and here to report that you can still successfully get an oar rig down from boundary creek at 350 cfs. The shallows were shallow. The Chutes were a drag festival. The slots in Tappan Falls, Pistol, Devils Tooth and Jump off were narrow. Bernard was a challenge and I came about as close as I'd ever had to wrapping my boat on a rock. The river was soooo lonely. The hot springs all ours. The fishing was epic! I will definitely go again even at this low level. Creekin in an oar rig is fun even when it snows on you and you are dragging your boat through a shallow with no water. A good crew, fine food, lots of wine and beautiful scenery makes for the best trip ever.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Yes it is awesome. You were at 500 and a bit over for your trip though. Not that it isn't hard but just so you know. Below 400 is brutal. I have seen it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is awesome. You were at 500 and a bit over for your trip though. Not that it isn't hard but just so you know. Below 400 is brutal. I have seen it.
Copy that. The ranger said it was about 350 cfs at Boundary Creek. Next time I'll be sure to consult with you first before claiming such glory. lol. Just kidding :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Copy that. The ranger said it was about 350 cfs at Boundary Creek. Next time I'll be sure to consult with you first before claiming such glory. lol. Just kidding :cool:
Didn't mean it like that. It's not glory at that point.

I survived an Indian down at about 1.2 and have launched several times in the mid 450s. That you are jazzed to go again speaks to your rowing skill and the great attitude it takes to pull this one off.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't mean it like that. It's not glory at that point.

I survived an Indian down at about 1.2 and have launched several times in the mid 450s. That you are jazzed to go again speaks to your rowing skill and the great attitude it takes to pull this one off.
Lol! I think it is kind of glorious. I have been looking at some pics from the trip and I'm still saying, "We got an oar rig down that!"
I was with a crew of Chattooga River vets. They felt right at home creekin. They were also in a 10' paddle raft and greased the whole thing with the exception of a small stick in the entrance of Rubber Rapid. We got about as cold as you can get without being a medical emergency on day two (9/5). The small pools of hot springs at Lake Creek were life savers. The fact that I saw four dudes cruise past me while I was struggling to unstick myself in Sulfur and that was it the whole trip was mind blowing. I have never had the MFS to myself before. What a gift! That alone will be a reason I return late in the season regardless of the water level. I got hung up on the fang rock left channel at Pistol. Put a small hole in my floor which we patched at Sunflower that afternoon. Adversity can really bring out the best in some people. I'll never shy away from an opportunity to go down this river from the top.
That said, I bet the shallows below Indian at 1.2 were terrible! Was there even any water to slide down in Jump Off??? Haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts