Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I was on Oct 2-9. It was the boniest I have ever seen it. This was my third October trip and I have a November trip under my belt.
There is a lot of fresh wood from minor blowouts, nothing that won't go away at even medium flows.

I don't see a spike either anywhere on the USGS graphs.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Nope. NOAA for flow is like listening to Fox for objective news. Not going to happen.

Go to the USGS site.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 13309220 MF SALMON RIVER AT MF LODGE NR YELLOW PINE ID

Nothing even shows a blip there.

Lance - I thought the flow was excellent for this time of year. We came off on the 4th. I know they recalibrate the gauge every couple of years or yearly. I was expecting less. I have had a pretty rough time at the same gauge before but it seemed like more flow this year for the same reading.

Did you like that new log above Veil? It had to still be there. I swear the dust was still settling as we came up on it. Must have just happened. I meant to post about that but you would 't have seen the warning anyway.
Glad you got out there. Talk about the glory weather.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did you like that new log above Veil? It had to still be there. I swear the dust was still settling as we came up on it. Must have just happened. I meant to post about that but you would 't have seen the warning anyway. Glad you got out there. Talk about the glory weather.
Is the log where that log was about 2 years ago now, the one that killed that lady in the IK? In the small rapid above veil below the crystal pool. Got any photos?

·
Registered
471 Posts
IIRC it was above the rapid, just a fresh ponderosa blocking 40% of the river but a very easy miss, even at high water. The killer was below the rapid, though it was a fairly easy miss. This one will not survive high water long.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
IIRC it was above the rapid, just a fresh ponderosa blocking 40% of the river but a very easy miss, even at high water. The killer was below the rapid, though it was a fairly easy miss. This one will not survive high water long.
Didn't get any photos of it. A bit intimidating floating towards it and I had my very new to rowing friend right behind me so I was making sure to miss it by a long ways. It was easy to miss. I worry about where it will go as spring flow moves it out of the middle of the river, which is where it is now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts