Mountain Buzz banner

MFS Oct 8

702 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Achilles Man
I picked up a MFS permit for Oct 8. Yeah, I know, low water and bad weather. Looks like I can add a couple folks to the permit, at least for the time being. My plan is to use my narrow 14' Maravia, and go light- no cooler, minimal gear (no volleyball nets, dutch ovens, solar blenders, etc.) I've got a pyramid tent with a stove. That's if the water level isn't too low.
I'd consider another couple of people, either a raft or IK's, on the theory that there'll be more bodies to manhandle rafts around the rocks.
If anybody is interested message me. I live in Teton County Wy (Alta). Maybe we could meet up. I've got a groover and most other gear.
This will, of course, depend on the water level. So this will necessarily be tentative.
Reactions: 1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
There will be plenty of permits showing up later in that time frame, as people realize it’s damned cold then, and as they pick up better dates. However, I’d be interested in a late, light, hot-tent trip. By then, I’ll need one. 13’ cat, hot-tipi, no cooler, etc.
You’ve caught my interest. I’ll send a PM.
I've been the week before. We flew in to mile 25, had one 14 foot raft, an inflatable canoe, and IKs. There was frost on the boats the first two mornings but otherwise it was a great trip. Those in the kayaks wore dry suits. Certainly didn't feel like I needed a tent heater. I don't even think we had fires. The raft pinned once (operator error, not lack of water) but mostly did okay. But like I said, we skipped the first 25 miles by flying in.

Good luck, have fun!
In 2020 I ran from the top on Sept 23. I think the river level was ~ 1.6' Had a great trip that year. The first couple of nights were cold. By far the worst night was camping at the Boundary Creek launch. Woke up and had frost on the tent. The nighttime temperatures warmed up as we travelled down river. I also ran it in late Sept the following year, I think the level was 1.39' We had to fly all of our stuff in on that trip. I've never had a need to bring a heater, always just bundled up in the sleeping bag. I've always thought those lil buddy heaters would be nice to have but they're bulky. I tend to pack light and only bring the essentials.

October would be fun. You wont see a lot of other people on the river, which I always find enjoyable. The fishing should be good too!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts