Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will fishing be any good the first week of June on the Middle Fork Salmon? I think the water will still be cold, but the NOAA flow guessers say the river level should range from 3-3.5 ft. Any salmon flies around?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Will fishing be any good the first week of June on the Middle Fork Salmon? I think the water will still be cold, but the NOAA flow guessers say the river level should range from 3-3.5 ft. Any salmon flies around?
fishing is always terrible on this river. If I was you I would cancel my permit immediately ...

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
Bad news, there wont be any salmon flies. The other bad news is that you will probably get bored catching small trout on every other cast. The good news is that if you switch to streamers you can target the bigger more aggressive fish, but you'll only hook up on one out of 4 casts. If you start to get depressed you can always go back to hooking up every other cast on top. If you get bored again, double up dries and only set the hook when both get taken.

·
Registered
676 Posts
B1 bombers, bullethead salmonflies, stimmies from 6-16, and a big and full streamer box are the only flies you will need. you can fool with a dropper if you want, but i'd probably do double dries instead. probably too early for the goldens, but you should see salmonflies.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Launching on Sunday. I'll let you know how the fishing was.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fishing was better than I thought it would be, but not as good as later in the year. The water temperature was warmer than I expected, 52 F at our first camp and 58 F at our last. There were enough places to fish at 3.5 - 3.0 ft, but lower water levels are much better. There were a few salmon flies around and other smaller stoneflies, not any big hatches.

·
Registered
362 Posts
So Wadeinthewater, you making two MFS trips this year? Thats a very awesome year for sure. July fishing on the MF has always been fantastic in my experience. Those cutthroat are less than picky.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
362 Posts
So Wadeinthewater, you making two MFS trips this year? Thats a very awesome year for sure. July fishing on the MF has always been fantastic in my experience. Those cutthroat are less than picky.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Never Mind!!! Got my Oregon Marks confused :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts