Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Tamales? Oh hell yes! I had no idea anyone near Salmon sold tamales. They're best when homemade, sold out of a trunk in a parking lot and without the government's knowledge.
My main problem with most tamales is it's like 95% bland masa, and maybe one string of shredded beef.
The one's sold out the back of some jallape' are almost always superior. Good corn\meat ratio.
Especially if she's got some homemade salsa or sauce to go with them!!

I'll risk diarrhea for those!

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are now 2 other fires in the area besides the moose fire. The wolf fang and woodtick fires will likely bring more smoke to the area and are lighting caused. Also Stage 1 fire ban just went into effect.

I read the whole Leidecker guide and still can't find crystal ball.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Big destination resort job I worked on maybe 15-20 years ago had a tamale sellin lady(one of the framers wife) on site most days, which was great, cause the job was 15 miles outta town, and it's all to common to forget lunch.

Anyhoo, I show up one morning, and the place is a ghost town. Out of probly 2-300 people, there were maybe 100 there.

I asked the Superintendent what was up...
Turns out the tamale lady had gotten a bad batch of... somethin. I'd eaten some the day before, nary a questionable fart. Same for Sam(the Super)
So, I say I'll risk jallape' tamales. But I also trust my gut to get me through. 😎

Ooops.
I guess we went off topic...

Although not really, cause I'll also trust my respiratory system to handle a little wildfire smoke whilst boating. 😉

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
haha... Tamale thread takeover is TIGHT!

Best Tamales I've ever had were in a bowling alley in Fairplay, CO. The bowling alley shut down and I was super sad that the Tamales weren't gonna be there anymore...but they merged with a bakery next to the Grocery store and sell em now. I highly recommend Dorothy's Tamales. Its the only tamale I've ever had where the masa was the star of the show. I don't know what they do to make it that way (pork lard?) but the filling is almost inconsequential but the Pork Green chili is pretty good. If I go up to the Arkansas River I always stop and grab a dozen or two frozen ones to take home.

I head up the the MFS early next week...hoping for many reasons, including my own selfish ones, that the fires have calmed down and roads start to open up again. Oh...and so those badass fire fighter folks don't have to continue to risk life and limb and the locals don't have to worry about it burning their lives to the ground too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are now 2 other fires in the area besides the moose fire. The wolf fang and woodtick fires will likely bring more smoke to the area and are lighting caused. Also Stage 1 fire ban just went into effect.

I read the whole Leidecker guide and still can't find crystal ball.
Crystal balls is the sneak route around vasectomy rock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Big destination resort job I worked on maybe 15-20 years ago had a tamale sellin lady(one of the framers wife) on site most days, which was great, cause the job was 15 miles outta town, and it's all to common to forget lunch.

Anyhoo, I show up one morning, and the place is a ghost town. Out of probly 2-300 people, there were maybe 100 there.

I asked the Superintendent what was up...
Turns out the tamale lady had gotten a bad batch of... somethin. I'd eaten some the day before, nary a questionable fart. Same for Sam(the Super)
So, I say I'll risk jallape' tamales. But I also trust my gut to get me through. 😎

Ooops.
I guess we went off topic...

Although not really, cause I'll also trust my respiratory system to handle a little wildfire smoke whilst boating. 😉
When big gov first started pushing ethanol in gasoline, the price of corn husks went through the roof. Numerous illicit tamale vendors resorted to...other methods for wrapping their wares, which resulted in one of the largest outbreaks of swamp ass in US history. Allegedly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If anyone has any stupid comments like the one above please feel free to keep those to your self. If you have any trip reports from your middle fork trip, we'd love to read them!
From the Inciweb report today (see quote below). This morning the report was different, and when they update it tomorrow it will be different again. Unless another fire breaks out lower on the main, you likely won't have active fire in your campsite. That gets really smoky, but was still way more fun for me than sitting at home. If folks on your trip have health issues that are aggravated by smoke, you should assume it will be smoky, in my opinion.

"Smoke was slow to move off the fire today but it was warmer and dryer with humidity minimums approaching 15%. Slope and valley winds dominated with northwest winds at ridgetops. Lifting began across the fire at 1500 with smoke lingering on the east side. Wednesday will continue the warming and drying trend with a bit more instability. There is a better chance for cumulus development over and around the fire with showers along the Montana border. Winds will continue to be relatively light and follow slope/valley patterns."

Also, anyone please feel free to PM me if you're dropping an 8/17 or 8/18 main permit, since that would alleviate any concern about getting off at Cache. 😁

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
863 Posts
If your text your gps coordinates from cell or in reach father you can get fire information.
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Clock Number

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hyside, Can I get a little more location info on those tamale ladies? 🙂

And MT4Runner, agree to disagree on the manifold tamales. Burritos are where it's at. 🌯

I really like the direction this thread has gone.
The difference is in the cooking style. You want to brown a tortilla a little and get some crispy bits, while you want to steam a tamale. So if you have good head gaskets and no cracks in your heads/block, you'll want to go with burritos for the dry heat. If your motor is expelling clouds of steam, tamales will cook much better. Be like the water.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hyside, Can I get a little more location info on those tamale ladies? 🙂

And MT4Runner, agree to disagree on the manifold tamales. Burritos are where it's at. 🌯

I really like the direction this thread has gone.
Over a decade ago I had a house in W. Medford (off Columbus Av if you know the area). Every week 2 Hispanic women with kids in tow would walk the "hood" with said cooler and cart filled with heaven. Perfect ratio of filling to masa. They weren't cheap tho..... like 10 for 12 bucks :cool:

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
OK gotta throw this factoid out. Back about 1915 Ford had a "manifold oven" that was an option on the Model T. The idea was you put your Sunday dinner in the oven, took a drive after church and came home to a cooked meal. I saw one once at a car show (working). Why choose, cook burritos and tamales. Pretty cool

21 - 40 of 57 Posts