Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't heard any reports back since the fire started. We are launching on 8/3 and I'm interested to hear how it is out there. Chief concern is air quality.

Anybody get in from a trip in the last few days?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Listen, I've driven alllll the way across Oregon, then half of Idaho in perfectly clear air to put in on those rivers.
Perfectly clear air at the ramp.

Two days later, the wind shifts, some fire in NE Oregon blows up, fills the canyon with smoke so thick you could barely see the other bank.
Then two days after that, the wind shifts again and the air in pristine again.
Wake up the next morning, choking smoke.

So asking what the air quality will be like in 10 days, hell, even 3 days is utterly ignorant.

Shut up and go boat'n, or turn your permit in so someone else can pick it up in time to plan a trip.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
OP, more often than not, there are fires in the West, ESPECIALLY in August.
If air quality is a concern, you probably shouldn't be putting in for August permits.

And really, who cares? You're on the river!
Plan for it to be smokey, it's just a fact of life in the west. If it's not smokey, BONUS!
This post was not a bit stupid. Actually quite intelligent. You got the answer you needed to hear, just not the one you wanted to hear.
But snarky? yes. And still correct.
You really ought to adjust your expectations that unforseen (or likely) events like regional forest fires could impact your trip plans. It's just a fact of life. Unpleasant, but a risk you take when you go on a wilderness trip on a Western river in late summer.

If you've read recent trip reports or Facebook posts, the Moose Fire smoke is generally blowing east, and as of now, the river corridor is clear
but as @BenSlaughter noted, there's a GOOD chance of a fire blowing up in NE Oregon that could fill the MF/Main corridor with smoke.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If anyone has any stupid comments like the one above please feel free to keep those to your self. If you have any trip reports from your middle fork trip, we'd love to read them!
his reply was Honest and clear. Air quality changes by the minute. If you are concerned about air quality, I suggest you try a trip in April or may when the chance of smoke is much lower.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I haven't heard any reports back since the fire started. We are launching on 8/3 and I'm interested to hear how it is out there. Chief concern is air quality.

Anybody get in from a trip in the last few days?
There are web cams at the airstrips at Lower Loon Creek and at the Flying B that can give you an idea of current visibility.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's serious crystal ball territory.
"How bad will the smoke be in a week or 10 days?"
WHO KNOWS?!

Will the Moose Fire settle down? Maybe.
Will four new fires blow up? Possibly!

And really, who cares? You're on the river!
Plan for it to be smokey, it's just a fact of life in the west. If it's not smokey, BONUS!
I’ll tell you who cares: the tamales or the two helicopter pilots who died, all the people in Lemhi County who have been impacted in many ways, and the 800 plus firefighters and their families. We came off the MF this past Sunday and only had a little smoke while camped at Camas Creek. There was a pilot car from North Fork to Spring Creek. All of this thanks to some very ignorant campers - not lightning.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
859 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
I’ll tell you who cares: the tamales or the two helicopter pilots who died, all the people in Lemhi County who have been impacted in many ways, and the 800 plus firefighters and their families. We came off the MF this past Sunday and only had a little smoke while camped at Camas Creek. There was a pilot car from North Fork to Spring Creek. All of this thanks to some very ignorant campers - not lightning.
i bet you’re a lot of fun at a party

1 - 20 of 57 Posts