Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am pondering taking my 15.5' x 48" w. bottom boat down in early July. Been down three times previously in a 16' cat at higher levels.
It is light, very responsive, with Wetlander coated bottom and I would travel extremely light so maneuvering in the upper section is not so much a worry for me. What are the hydraulics like in the lower canyon rapids when the flows are about 2'? You might be wondering why the hell I would think about this, but I have my reasons. Any constructive (or non constructive) thoughts to get the dialog going? Thank's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would be concerned about the first two days. I’m not sure how much wear and tear a drift boat can take or how much it drafts but there are some areas where you might be dragging or hit a rock or two. I wouldn’t be too concerned with the canyon. There are bigger waves but as long as you point your bow downstream you should be fine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
All I can tell you is that the pros hit rocks in their drift boats all the time up top. There is what is referred to as the silver road on the MFS. It's the spot / line where the aluminum drift boats run and leave metal on the rocks. At around 2' the top will still probably nail you in a couple spots and you should be prepared to repair your boat if needed. Look for the silver and you know your in the best spot most likely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank's for the info/posts so far, I realize it's not as popular a thread as sunglasses and empty beer cans. Hopefully my draft won't be over 4" and the epoxy coating (over aluminum) extends around the bottom chines and up the sides about 6". It should slide reasonably well since I have to be careful launching, beaching and tying off the boat as it want's to "take off" constantly.

From what I understand some fishing outfitters are deadheading their drift boats down to Indian Cr. the same timeframe.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I’ve seen the fishing boats at low flows. They dead head to Indian creek. The upper section isn’t hard hitting/wrapping stuff at low flows. But if you don’t know your lines there will be some tough spots. You will scrape plenty of rocks and bang a good number too if you take your “toothpick” at those flows. Sounds like fun though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts