Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the paddling season winding down in the Rockies, I figure I'll get the word out that Mexican Creek and a few other kick-ass runs are going on in Texas. Click http://philosophy.tamu.edu/~sdaniel/kayak.html to see a teaser vid of the Texas Whitewater DVD. The second video shows Mexican Creek at 1064.15, about what it is at post time. Pedernales Falls is higher than in the vid, the Blanco Narrows is higher than it is in the last shot of the first vid, and the 30 foot Edge Falls is probably around the level in the vid. Crabapple Creek is a little lower than the low water run of around 150 cfs in the teaser, but with more rain it'll come back. 1,200 is an awesome class IV+ level with a few class V lines. Oh yeah, the ''20 foot waterfall'' on Onion Creek is running as well. The DVD and guidebook are a great resource for paddlers considering traveling to, or through Texas. MC will probably still be going during the Mexico season and would be a good pitstop. Check www.paddletexas.com for the latest. It's been an unbelievable year.

·
Registered
272 Posts
must be nice paddling naked... what part of Texas are all these creeks in?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 08179500 Medina Lk nr San Antonio, TX This is the link to the lake level which spills over Medina Lake at 1064.2, so, you are correct Crow. The level in the vid was 1065.15. My bad. And it is nice to not wear a stinky drytop. It's just your own stinky armpits. All of these runs are in the hill country which is north of San Antonio and west of Austin. MC is 30 min NW of SA. Austin is the best city in Texas for paddlers, musicians and music lovers, and people not down with all the conservative bullshit so prevalent in the state.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here are some shots of deepstroke and Adam Compton on Mexican at 1064.93...

deepstroke in the meat of the Big Enchilada..

Compton dropping in...

deepstroke railing Chupacabra..

Compton styling...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts