Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
when flooding, there are actually some sick runs into the chatahoochee inside the perimeter. sope ck., and a few others i forget.
the damn goes by the way.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah, sope creek and sweetwater flood pretty quickly and can be fun but stinky. That video reminds me of the Broad River at 15 feet.

The southeast is flooded as hell...wish I were there with my boat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Metro Atlanta Whitewater

The "Conyers River" is actually the Yellow River, which flows just east of Stone Mountain State Park and on down to join the South and Alcovy rivers in Lake Jackson.

The rapid in the video is below a mill dam, opposite old mill works in Milstead. Normally the rapid is class 3 if there is enough water to run it. These piedmont rivers tend to have good rapids just in short sections, separated by long stretches of flat stuff. The rapids are usually formed by granite or schist outcrops.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I grew up near Stone Mountain and Snellville, and had never heard of the "Conyers River". I do know the Yellow river, that looks crazy! It is normally (like most of the water around there) flat, slow, meandering. I think I came accross that rapid on the AW site and didn't realize it was there though...

·
Registered
619 Posts
I grew up in Roswell and have never heard of either either....nice to see some GA people on here...seems like a lot of people have come from ATL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having a sister in Durango, I have been coming out to CO since 1989. I usually don't arrive until July and so have had to run things on my own, whatever still has water in it. I have an amateur interest in geology, and I like to explain to people why so many rock slabs in GA lean to the northwest.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I also have ATL connections. Went to school at GT and folks/sister all live in Peachtree City. Sope Creek...used to bike there all the time !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I grew up in Marietta, but I never paddled out there, I learned out in CO. I always used to pass Sope Creek but never noticed much water. This video shows how much water was pumping through one day, it's unbelievable. I have a much different perspective of the creek now as a boater. Wish I was down there now, as a paddler, and witnessing it for myself! Too bad all the water is damaging so many houses around where I grew up. Lets hope it lets up for that reason. But let the boating carry on!! :)

YouTube - East Cobb Flooding, Sope Creek

YouTube - Sope Creek at Paper Mill - During the flood, and the morning after

Liz (Go Dawgs!!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Atlanta high water runs

Never ran Sope, or Rottenwood. I did catch Big Creek once. Sweetwater "Creek" was the cause of much of the flooding. Can be a bodacious run with enough water. Other streams that run into the Chattahoochee from the NW and have been run include the Dog, Anneewakee, Hurricane, Snake, and Hillabahatchee. I've run the Dog several times and caught tiny little Hillabahatchee back in '93. These streams are all interesting because they are in a "zone of cataclasis" related to the Brevard Fault.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts