Mountain Buzz banner

Mesh Flip Seat - Im buying one

6K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  merritrd 
#1 ·
Im looking into a raised flip seat for rowers chair - i like the mesh over the tractor style seat. All thread on these seats seem way dated and im assuming much has changed since say 2010.

I have rowed on the DRE Captain's Chair and liked it but also looking at the AAA Inflateables Deluxe Flip Seat.

I cant tell if the AAA seat has a lower back bar than the DRE? and its not possible for me to do a side by side comparison. I like the uper bar bend in the AAA seat and also like the AAA color better.

Not sure i want to take a chance with the AAA seat given I know I like the DRE seat and they are basically same price.

Any experiences or other options you can share would be rad in helping me decide.

thnks a million

#3 ·
Love my DRE chair. Go see Zach and Phil, they'll set you up.

The chair is also great when you need an extra chair around camp.

#6 ·
Go try out any mesh seat tha you can find if you are not close to Denver. Bring a tape measure. Then call Mark and Judy at AAA and tell them if you want it higher or lower or wider or narrower. Mark cuts and bends all of the aluminum in his shop and he can make you one however you like it.

Order soon. He has described Memorial Day to me as Rafter's Christmas and they are approaching their busiest season.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback to date!

I did talk to Mark at AAA before starting this thread and he is no doubt a good guy and sounds plenty capable of putting out a good product. I also went to a local gear shop and stared at the DRE seat again – sure wish I could see and touch the AAA.

Im leaning toward AAA at the moment because stock dimension seem a bit more compact than the DRE which appears wider and maybe a little taller back???? I am still up in the air on which way to go but will certainly update you helpful critters in the near term.

Thnks a zillion this time

#11 ·
Started with a DRE mesh seat, traded for a low back tractor. Depending on your PFD (Stohlquist Descent here), you'll end up with lower back funk because the PFD runs into the top bar, leaving a gap where you don't want one. I rowed with the DRE mesh for 3 days, then they were awesome enough to swap it for me. Low back tractor is perfect now, PFD sits above the back rest.

#12 ·
Went with AAA

Here is the AAA seat that I finally decided to go with. Gotta say I dig the look and feel. At first I was a little fired up about there being screws on the side of the chair but Mark at AAA was able to talk me down (apparently they stop the mesh from rising up / shifting direction).

My analyses is the AAA is in fact slightly more compact (the seat is bit narrow (side to side and front to back) and top back is a bit lower. I just ordered stock from AAA website commenting sounds like they can custom build to spec. Im hoping I have a chance and remember to get some side by side pics of AAA and DRE seats posted for a visual. The pics might help others that are trying to decide on a flip seat. In the mean time if you cant figure out which one is me – im the one that wont leave his seat. Hardy har har

#16 ·
One of my boats has a low-back tractor seat mounted on directly to the top of the dry box - I like it in heavy pulling situations because I can slide up on the top of the back for full stroke effort. On my other boat, I just sit on the dry box ethafoam.
Hence my questions: Do the AAA or DRE chairs hit you in the back - and is that distracting or limiting your rowing power? I'm certain the mesh compresses somewhat around the tubing.
Another concern is about the raised height of the AAA or DRE chairs - do the oars have a greater tendency to hit your knees? (That's happened a few times even on the lower seat elevation sitting on top of the dry box ethafoam.) Do you like the higher seat elevation? Did any of you have to adjust the height of your oar towers?
Thanks!

#17 ·
Hence my questions: Do the AAA or DRE chairs hit you in the back - and is that distracting or limiting your rowing power? I'm certain the mesh compresses somewhat around the tubing.
Another concern is about the raised height of the AAA or DRE chairs - do the oars have a greater tendency to hit your knees? (That's happened a few times even on the lower seat elevation sitting on top of the dry box ethafoam.) Do you like the higher seat elevation? Did any of you have to adjust the height of your oar towers?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

When I need to pull I can lean over the top of the seat. I don't feel like the seat back gets in my way when I pull. It might be that I am 6'5" but I know several other folks that use high back seats and they are shorter than me. When I push and I am being lazy, it is nice to push resting against the seat back. If I push hard I lean forward a little bit and the back doesn't impact rowing.

The AAA seat has a bungie cord that keeps the mesh tight. The mesh does not compress. I also keep a type 4 throw between the 2 levels of mesh on the seat bottom. I have it there so I comply with the coast guard rule about having a throw on a 16' boat.

I do have tall towers since the seat is high. but I always had the seat and frames. I don't find I hit my knees in the high seat.

From a previous comment, I don't find the mesh chafes my legs when I am wearing shorts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.