Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from a great few days on Ruby-Horsethief. Weather was spectacular, water level is nice, and this time of year the traffic was minimal. Some nice new campsites I didn't see last year. Even saw two different boats float by after dark (full moon!!)

One problem. When we got down to Knowles it dawned on me that the fairly new groover, placed inconspicuously for my grandkids with a nice river view on the upstream side of the Mee Corner landing, got left there.

I'm not expecting to get it back, but wanted to alert any of you going down there in the next week or so, that you can take it. Hate to have it go waste (pun intended).

If anyone is from the Front Range area and brings it back, I will reimburse you for your time and effort (beer or something else), but I don't expect that to happen. Just giving a heads up.

·
Super Moderator
4,026 Posts
Don't write it off yet. There's a good chance it'll wind up at the Westwater ranger station. Try calling the BLM Moab District river office tomorrow am and reporting it to lost and found, then when you get word its there, you can put out your offer for someone heading out to WW to bring it back to the 'Range. They toss it in back of their truck before running shuttle, then you can come pick it up wherever they live in the Metro area. Who knows, it may even make its way back to Longmont if the stars align.

-AH

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am running Westwater on Tues 10/18 and Wed 10/19. My buddy is coming up from Boulder running it with us and heading back to the FR on Thursday. Take Andy's advise and if it turns up I will be happy to get it to Vail, then on down to Boulder. I am not leaving the Vail area until after 3pm tomorrow, I know the rangers answer the phones from 8-12. Paul 970-331-1941.

PS, I do have room for two people on my permit if you got a boat...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vail and Andy -
Thanks for the encouragement and the ideas. I'll be waiting to hear anything, and hope I can let you know. Thanks for the offer to run WW. Two problems for me taking advantage of your generous offer to run that stretch - I have a job M-Th and can't get off. More to the point, I'm a chicken to run Westwater :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Open Boat Steve,

I'll be running RH on Wednesday and Thursday and then WW on Friday and Saturday. One of our crew is from Boulder and I'm sure that he will bring it back to the front range for you, if we can find it. We will look for it when we go past Mee Corner and hopefully we will find "your shit". I'll keep my eyes on this post just in case it's found before Wednesday. I'd sure feel happy if we, or someone else, finds it for you; and if you have any other specific points as to where to find it, just let me know. Peace.

·
Registered
147 Posts
haha. of course it will be there. I dont know anybody that would take a full groover. i dont even want to carry my own groover.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barney-
That would be great. It is NOT full. Used once by one young grandson and once by an adult. If you pull in to the Mee Corner "beach" and walk up onto the bench, turn left and walk upstream about 75' and it is just left of the cottonwood growing there - full view of the river. It is a white plastic porta-potty, and it probably wouldn't hurt to run a strap around it to keep the lid down and the bottom from accidently detaching (though the bottom is fully sealed).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Open Boat,

It was once said, "Where there is a stink of shit, there is a smell of being." We'll get it for you, and send it home to you. Sounds like an old Coleman groover I used to have, so I'm familiar with how to keep it from sprouting a leak.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know Barney is out on the river now, probably trying to find the groover at Mee. I had contacted the Westwater ranger a few days ago in case it was turned in. Today got a note that they found it and took it to the ranger station at Westwater, so Barney will not find it. In case Barney doesn't check with the ranger and it gets left at Westwater, is there anyone from the Front Range running Ruby or Westwater in the near future willing to bring it back?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi!

I am heading to run Ruby HT and WW on Oct 27-30. I live in Longmont and I paddle an Open boat! (Are you in a Rival? That's what I have.) If you don't get it back this weekend, I can get it to you next weekend.
B

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds good. We can visit after the weekend to see if Barney picked it up. If not, I'd appreciate it. Taking a canoe through Westwater! Nice (but not for me).

The boat in the avatar is an old Dagger Impulse, long gone now. I have a Dagger Genesis at the moment.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Highside-
That would be wonderful. Thanks.

You must be just running Westwater, eh? Hope you have a great time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know Barney is out on the river now, probably trying to find the groover at Mee. I had contacted the Westwater ranger a few days ago in case it was turned in. Today got a note that they found it and took it to the ranger station at Westwater, so Barney will not find it. In case Barney doesn't check with the ranger and it gets left at Westwater, is there anyone from the Front Range running Ruby or Westwater in the near future willing to bring it back?
Open Boat,

We got it at WW. It is now with a friend of mine in Boulder who is wanting to connect it with you. Send me an email message at [email protected] in order to give me your phone number and I will have Ryan contact you, or vise versa, so that you can "get your shit together". Glad we could get this for you. Peace.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Barney -
Message received. You guys are the greatest. Thanks for being an integral part of my "poop brigade".

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I made contact with the good folks and hope to pick it up in Boulder today, weather permitting. Not sure I want to do a detailed inventory of the contents.

·
Registered
182 Posts
And let us know if it arrived heavier than when you left it...
Ahh, I decline to comment on this. Well, okay, if it's heavier, it has nothing to do with mine being lighter as we entered into WW coming off of RH. Honest!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts