Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We just did a 3 night/4 day trip. Menu.....precooked chicken & rice on night #1, grilled brats on night #2, dutch oven pizza last night. Breakfasts were bagels & cream cheese, oatmeal, pancakes, mountain man eggs & cinnamon rolls in the dutch oven. DO brownies for dessert. Wraps with lunchmeat, chips, fruit, cookies for lunch.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Fantastic. I really need to learn the Dutch oven.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Pretty much anything you cook in an oven at home can be adapted to the DO. Cobblers & brownies are good things to try first. A 12 inch anodized aluminum GSI DO is in my opinion the best all around size to get first. Then maybe add a 10 inch & 14 inch at some point depending on your usual group size. We mainly use 12s & 10s. Attached is a picture of the MM eggs & cinnamon rolls. have a great trip.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Voodoo - yes the Dutchs are the way to go. To my shame I pooh-poohed the whole idea as being too complex and silly for my backpacking, less is more mentality. WRONG - once I started playing with a friend's DO on raft trips I was sold. Now I insist on packing it in my sea kayak much to hubby's disgust (until he tastes the food!). At first cooking with it was like voodoo but then I realized that they are very forgiving. Goat cheese and sun dried tomato pizza on a raft or kayak trip, scones from scratch in the morning - SOLD. One (or many) very happy camper(s). :D

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Voodoo - yes the Dutchs are the way to go. To my shame I pooh-poohed the whole idea as being too complex and silly for my backpacking, less is more mentality. WRONG - once I started playing with a friend's DO on raft trips I was sold. Now I insist on packing it in my sea kayak much to hubby's disgust (until he tastes the food!). At first cooking with it was like voodoo but then I realized that they are very forgiving. Goat cheese and sun dried tomato pizza on a raft or kayak trip, scones from scratch in the morning - SOLD. One (or many) very happy camper(s). :D
Wow, you pack a DO in your sea kayak! Now that's hard core. I'm just getting into kayak touring (Necky Vector SOT), and working on downsizing from my rafting gear. Whole different mindset. More like a backpacker.

What do you buzzards do for lunches? We usually do tortilla wraps with lunch meat & cheese, chips, cookies, fruit. Sometimes chicken salad or tuna salad. I'd love to try something new. Any great ideas?????

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
Prep ahead of time, use a seal a meal. When you get to camp, start a big pot of water boiling, then put the bags of food in it. after an hour or two, remove, open, serve. Don't spend your precious river time chopping onions.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm with Andy. I use a seal-a-meal, load the bag with some good juicy stuff, freeze it enough to do a dry seal, freeze it hard for a couple of days or weeks, and then throw it in a real cold yeti.

I do all my food in an assembly line over an hour or so. I did some tamales in early May, had them in the cooler for two weeks, got home with them still frozen, put them in the fridge for a week, finally microwaved them, and they were still good three weeks after I sealed them. The bags that you get at costco can be boiled. I use the water from boiling the bag for dish cleanup. The trash is a bag about the size of a ziplock.

I've also seal-a-mealed fresh stuff like spinach salads. Leaves get a little crushed but it keeps it all fresh and clean and hassle free.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All good ideas. I'll eat pretty much anything - hot or cold. Many of my rafting friends are in the camp of complex meals - they enjoy the preparation (either before or during the trip). I only smile when they complain about all the stuff we need and how heavy it is. Before you decide on what food you want I suggest giving lots of thought to how much gear you want to bring. Getting along without a cooler makes things really easy from a logistics perspective. No big stove = no big propane tanks. No food prep = no big table. No messy pots/pans simplify clean up. If it was me - for a short trip I'd be into getting all my food into a dry box and using the river to keep my beer cold. All I need is a pot to boil water and some forks. But I'm lazy and frankly a beer sandwich, jerky and chips is all I need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.