Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading out to do the 16 day trip with Moenkopi this August. They have a couple of nice meal sample plans. One is the "light" version with easier meals and quicker prep. The other is a standard with more heavy meals. Any recommendations on which is better? Or other suggestions on food to order/not order?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We finished a 17 day Grand trip outfitted by Moenkopi a week ago. We had 16 people with everyone reported as normal eaters and had more than enough food for every meal. We built our own menu and did some pre-made meals (boil in bag), which were all good and easy. Picking meals that you are familiar with makes cooking a lot easier. The easier the better.

Some favorites pre-made: Chili Relleno, Stir-fry, Beef'n broccoli

Non pre-made favorites: Surf'n turf, ravioli, burritos, brats

App favs: egg rolls, gauc was out of a bag and good, Pesto and cream cheese, cheese and crackers

More work than we thought it was worth: coleslaw

Lunch: River pasta salad was made the night before and was a fast and easy lunch, taco salad was good and different, sandwiches were easy

Desserts: Frozen cheesecake bites, ice cream cups, churros, angel food cake

Nutella was a good addition.

Ask for name brand dish soap, it makes dishes way easier.

Have a blast! It's so awesome down there!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Moenkopi was just fine! We threw away ice after a 16 day trip last July....launched in 117 degrees at Lees Ferry. The food was awesome, but I was not in charge, so don't know what plan was ordered. We will be on a trip with Ceiba done food this year, so we can compare. PRO ice did not seen to last long, two years ago, but it's hard to tell as that was a 23 day trip in October. Don't worry, anything you choose will be very tasty on the river!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Moenkopi provided us a great menu, it was just really heavy on the food. But they do that intentionally because they simply do not want to hear the 'not enough food' complaint, and rightfully so. An example was the steak dinner, which included rib eyes that AVERAGED 1 pound each! It was awesome, but just too much. I feel like you could order the heavy menu for 14 people and have enough for all 16. Next time I'd consider the lighter menu, but you will not come up short with the food pack they provide. The boil in bag dinners are a great asset if you can rearrange the menu and use them when necessary. They include three with the full food pack, but I find them not very cost effective at $5 extra/head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.