Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home for our Flathead trip we took the drive up the going to the sun road -- as magnificent as I remember it being.

We did some scouting on McDonald creek on the way back down -- looked like a stellar IV-V creek run with a long II-III section above the creeky stuff. A probable portage around a mini gorge with a sketchy 15-footer at the entrance to the gorge. A two-tiered slide ... 30' or so? Some other fun bedrock ledge drops.

Has it been run? Is it legal to boat in Glacier? We saw some playboats cartopped, but nobody boating ... flow look ideal. we were drooling but couldn't find any info on legality. Way too roadside to try to poach.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I think its been run as an obvious poach. I don't think its legal. But, I'm not an expert on the area by any means. I've heard that it looks amazing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to find a little info here:

"The section of Upper McDonald Creek between Mineral Creek and Lake McDonald is closed to all types of boating and floating to protect nesting Harlequin ducks."

from http://www.nps.gov/glac/activities/boating.htm

Bummer. Some really fun looking stuff in there. Not sure how all the yahoos traipsing along the river are less damaging to habitat than kayaks, but what do I know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Should be open october through march

If it's closed year round that's news to anyone up here and something new, restrictions have been from april 1 to sep 30. Usually get a week or two of flows in October, never seen it iced out before april 1. One gorge dumps under a huge boulder suspended between the walls, everything else goes if your up for it. I wouldn't put it past the park service to change shit without notice. Last I knew this was the only resticted water in the park.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Those photos are great. Do the runs up in that area have a long season? Is some of this still runnable in August, or is it too low now? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Creeks are done by early july, june is best, Park stuff is snowed in before that. Fall rains usually bring flows up but you have to get it quick. For late summer early fall boatin head up the Columbia ditch towards Golden BC. 4 to 5 hours from the Flathead Valley will get you into a handfull of great runs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts