Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dug around a bit on this one before posting, but couldn't find an answer. Anyhow, I am building a roller for my trailer and found that a 1-3/8" OD flanged radial bearing fits well into sch. 40 1-1/4" pipe. I want to build a full length roller that is 7ft long from 1-1/4" sch. 40 pipe and I am wondering;

*Do you think a 7ft long roller supported on ends that is made from sch. 40 aluminum will bend under the load of a raft, or if I should go with steel pipe?

*Is there any reason not to use galvanized steel pipe in this application?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I wouldn't bother with bearings- I built mine with threaded plumbing pipe (steel), threaded 90 degree bends, threaded footings and three sections of pvc overlaying the pipe. Rolls just fine and zero maintenance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
520 Posts
I went with a 7' piece of rolled steel from Pacific Steel, 1 5/8" OD, 1 3/8" ID (.125" wall), and a pair of sealed outdoor rated 1 3/8" bearings. A dab of JB weld on the inside of the steel, inserted the bearings, and sprayed the whole thing with bedliner. I had a welder buddy fab up my brackets out of angle steel and .5" bolts that I ground the threads off of to insert in the bearings. The whole thing cost me about $40 and works great, no flex at all (except from where I backed it into a tree and gave it a slight curve, but that's a different story).

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts