Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few were better at bringing a pure love for kayaking to the river. Marty was an inspiration to me when I started out kayaking, I learned my flatspins from him. He was so stoked for me as I improved. Nobody's been better at reminding us how friggin' awesome simple front surfing is. We'll need to keep that tradition alive!

Avalanche victim was longtime Aspen resident Marty Gancsos | AspenTimes.com

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just picked up a phone I hadn't checked in a while. Had a message from Marty telling me he put a new board under the bleachers at the glenwood wave! Also, I saw that before the avalanche that killed him, he told his ski buddy "Let me go first in case something happens, you've got kids". Pretty great exit from life!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I do believe that Marty spent more time at the wave in Glenwood than anybody. One of those guys that has boats on top of his truck all year long but actually uses them.
Sad news, but sure beats a slow death from some incurable disease. He seems to have lived a true ski bum/ river rat life for longer than most.
RIP.

·
clark
42 Posts
Damn... Tragic. I was out of the country and am just now seeing this. Damn.

Marty was a great guy and kind to everyone... My heart goes out to Marilyn. Just... tragic. We'll need to do something to celebrate his life at the wave this summer.

Rest in Peace, Marty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Memorial for Marty

Hi, So freakin' awful to lose Marty; his memorial is tomorrow March 7, 2015 in Aspen at the Mountain Chalet from 4-7 pm up on the top floor. Marilyn will be there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Memorial for Marty

A celebration of Marty's life was held tonight, 3/7 at the Mountain Chalet. It was very well attended. Naturally lots of skiers were there but also boaters who mentioned that it was Marty that got them started, or out of a jam or just provided them with the reassurance that he had their back "just in case". He was skilled, enthusiastic and encouraging. He was fun. His presence will be missed. Our love and support go out to Marilyn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts