Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of soap does everyone use around camp?

1) Whatever is cheap and/or has a pump dispenser
2) Dr. Bronner's
3) Old school bar soap
4) Something really cool that I don't even know about yet

·
Registered
346 Posts
#1. Cheap antibiotic soap, with a pump that screws closed. Biodegradable if the option is on the shelf.

Or...
campsuds or Walmart camp soap.

Or...no soap, just sand and water

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Usually Dr. bronner's, some times camp sud's , the bronner's i can find economy sizes at city market, use the stuff at home to.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Castile soap (just like Dr. Bronners) but in a hard bar not liquid. Doesn't spill and lasts forever. I pack it in a plastic soap dish with a small nylon scrubbie.
For hand washing use the scrubbie, for dishes and such I just use a river knife and add some fine shavings to hot water.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Palmolive. For everything. Kinda like the military has has a single fuel initiative, I have a single soap policy. I think most biodegradable soaps have to be dispersed in soil to degrade. Most my trips ate desert cruising, soap goes in river.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Dr. Bronner's because it's biodegradable, easy to find, and my Sunday morning sermon/meditation is right there on the label. :)

-AH

·
Registered
506 Posts
The same stuff I use at home. Dr. Bronners. Liquid is great. Stuff is cheap. And reading the label is about as informative as any thread that Herbaleaf participates in.
I'm not sure why anyone would still use anti bacterial stuff.

Jim

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I'm a nurse, and I use the same body & hair wash that we use at work. Gentle Rain mild. I have always found that the bio soaps leave my skin and hair very dry. Gentle Rain leaves my skin and hair soft and it has a pleasant smell. Concentrated, so a little goes a long way. Available on Amazon. Whenever I go to a conference and a vendor is giving the small sample bottles away, I grab a bunch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Many people have mentioned home use. I read somewhere before remodeling my last bathroom, and have seen it to be true;

Bar soap = Soap Scum

The hard fats that allow soap to be hard vs. liquid are what make soap scum. Use liquid soap, no more scum to scrub off your shower/tub sink/etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Many people have mentioned home use. I read somewhere before remodeling my last bathroom, and have seen it to be true;

Bar soap = Soap Scum

The hard fats that allow soap to be hard vs. liquid are what make soap scum. Use liquid soap, no more scum to scrub off your shower/tub sink/etc.
That and the calcium carbonate (carbonate hardness) that is artificially added to allow the soap to wash off. Scum is the precipitate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts