Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and Thank You!
My husband and I are trying to start our own Whitewater Hardgoods Company (hopefully this spring!) and we were wondering...

:confused:What's missing out there?:confused:

We'd like to focus on ways to move boats to and from the river and custom accessories (IE made-to-order oar-frames, modified ammo-cans, trailers, fire-pans, custom dryboxes) . . . also please list what you feel would be a FAIR price for quality, not Made in China goods.

Thanks Again!!!
-JS

·
Beginner
2,585 Posts
I've always wanted an easy, convenient way to attach and detach ammo cans from the frame, without those stupid ammo can slings.

I've also always wanted a sand free sleeping bag.

Figure those out and you'll be rich!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bike trailer!!!

A trailer that attaches to my bike to haul a kayak & gear to the local playhole! Hopefully less than $150.

·
Registered
346 Posts
A good quality community camp shelter that can hold up to the wind and doesn't require dozens of stake out lines, oars and trip hazards for drunk or sober campers. Something that doesn't puddle and require part of the group sitting in the drip line would be nice too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always wanted an easy, convenient way to attach and detach ammo cans from the frame, without those stupid ammo can slings.

I've also always wanted a sand free sleeping bag.

Figure those out and you'll be rich!

Might be able to help with the ammo cans right now depending on your frame...
Good luck with the sleeping bag!!
-JS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Freeze dried beer would be nice. Less weight more beer. Not quite on subject thought.
We thought that freezing beer and using it instead of ice would be a good idea . . .
I bet freeze dried beer would be WAY less messy! If you figure it out, let us know!!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A good quality community camp shelter that can hold up to the wind and doesn't require dozens of stake out lines, oars and trip hazards for drunk or sober campers. Something that doesn't puddle and require part of the group sitting in the drip line would be nice too.
Hmmmm . . . That is a really good one . . .We have friends that are working on that with little luck. . . Thank you!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
frozen beer

I froze a beer at home thinking it would be a good way to have ice and beer, but when it thawed out it was flat!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ammo Cans with welded on loops for feeding cams thru them.

A great soft day cooler that will keep ice for my beer and munchies

A cheap umbrella stand

·
They call me Jon
65 Posts
Second the trailer for a bike, but for a motorcyle instead. I would love to see a motorcyle trailer for my boat. HECK YEA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ammo Cans with welded on loops for feeding cams thru them.

A great soft day cooler that will keep ice for my beer and munchies

A cheap umbrella stand
Thank you!
We've got a pretty good system for the Ammo Cans and can do that now if you (or anyone else) is interested. The problem currently is shipping/transport costs, since we're not truely established. BUT if you are serious about getting some custom made...send me a message!

It's funny that you say soft cooler and umbrella stand...my husband and
I were on the river Sunday discussing the same issues...

Thank you again for your ideas!
-JS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Second the trailer for a bike, but for a motorcyle instead. I would love to see a motorcyle trailer for my boat. HECK YEA.

Trailers are definately on our "maybe" list. There are some really crappy trailers out there, and they're still pricey. . .
We are looking into getting a license from the CO DMV to sell to the public. It is fairly expensive. How much would you be willing to spend on a trailer like that? Also, would you be interested in any other motorcycle accessories (ie custom dry boxes)?

THANK YOU
-JS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We are located in Gunnison, CO and do currently have the ablility to make some items
- Fire Pans
- Custom Ammo Cans
- Custom Frames (Aluminum and steel)
- Trailer Repair (but not new trailers because of lisencing in CO)
- Steel Welding and Repairs

We are prepairing for my husband's current job (as welder with a high-end construction company) to end late winter/early spring. The big debate is do we rent a shop that is cheap in the industrial part of town or do we get a kick-butt shop with a store-front and storage area. It's all about demand. My "market research" is a way to help us make the choice on where to focus our business. I'm glad to heard from so many of you! And Thanks Andy H for the info!
-JS

·
Registered
134 Posts
We are located in Gunnison, CO and do currently have the ablility to make some items
- Fire Pans
- Custom Ammo Cans
- Custom Frames (Aluminum and steel)
- Trailer Repair (but not new trailers because of lisencing in CO)
- Steel Welding and Repairs

We are prepairing for my husband's current job (as welder with a high-end construction company) to end late winter/early spring. The big debate is do we rent a shop that is cheap in the industrial part of town or do we get a kick-butt shop with a store-front and storage area. It's all about demand. My "market research" is a way to help us make the choice on where to focus our business. I'm glad to heard from so many of you! And Thanks Andy H for the info!
-JS
As someone who has struggled to find affordable trailers for rafts/cats, have you ever thought of building a welded "rafting" frame that fits into onto of the 4x8 "northern tool" cheapo chinese trailers? Something you just plunk into the existing frame to make it haul bigger/wider boats?

How about a "carpenters" type frame oriented towards hauling rafts/cats that goes around a truck and camper top that allows you to transport the raft safely on the top?

Honestly considering how pricey a lot of rafting gear is, if you can do a good job and just charge a little bit less than the big guys, you'll probably do fine regardless.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Frozen Budweiser works GREAT as ice, and is not flat when thawed. We tried other brands, and the cans would explode. But Bud would not explode even when hard frozen. Use as ice, then drink. One flaw, its often still frozen when you want to drink it....

·
Registered
28 Posts
1. An umbrella that really will last through a Grand or even Cat trip - even reselling one you know works would get volume

2. Cheaper dry boxes, made out of thinner painted steel instead of expensive alum, people will accept a bit more weight for 1/2 the huge price of alum dry boxes

3. Trailers, trailer trailers

4. Turnkey small motor stowage, no gas leak, deployment and mounting systems for raft frames, all inclusive

5. Find the old model MSR outfitter wing - the ideal group shelter for the river that they don't make anymore (new version sucks) - and make your version

6. Ammo cans prewelded with mounting points high, painted white

7. Fully CNC machined frame parts - see elsewhere on this forum

8. Universal frame rail mounting points adaptable to multiple tube diams, with "stud" like used in commerical photo gear, that can then have accessories mounted universally to it

9. Simple system for mounting kayaks off the sides or back of raft frames low

10. Better water guns, improve on the common piston style plastic river gun with alum version, better seals, silicon rubber tubing for higher, cocked, push power - everyone love these things. I'd pay a LOT more for a better one, to be able to have longer range and win water fights. So would a lot of buzzers I bet.

11. "ruggedizing" system for Coleman Extreme coolers - their coolers cool as well as the 800 dollar coolers, but are wimpy - buy cooler wholesale, ad stronger hinges, handles, and maybe add press formed stainless plate to strengthen case, sell for less than Yeti, etc, but better device overall

12. Alum hand air pump that is light and functional, but 15 pounds and huge like the PVC units

1 - 20 of 41 Posts