Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone here very familiar with starboard? I would like to find a source MANUFACTURER to price some out for my frame project. I know it is not cheap, but I would like to find out how much it would cost anyway. Also I would like to find out if it is available in any other colors beside white, gray and black.

P.S. I found that BAD CAT advertises it, but there is no good contact info for him. If anyone knows them, they might want to pass on to him that the number on the site is going to some poor student that is getting dozens of calls a week.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Adwww.jamestowndistributors.com/Starboard
I am building a frame also. I haven't heard of this stuff but am interested now.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Adwww.jamestowndistributors.com/Starboard I am building a frame also. I haven't heard of this stuff but am interested now.
Marine Starboard - JamestownDistributors.com‎
Adwww.jamestowndistributors.com/Starboard
4.4 rating for jamestowndistributors.com
King Starboard Marine Plastic Choose a color, size & thickness
King Starboard 1/2"Starboard Starlite XLKing Starboard 3/4"King Starboard 1/4"

·
Registered
312 Posts
West Marine carries the stuff. Its not very rigid, does not come in anything but small project sizes and they want HOW MUCH??? On the plus side, it is waterproof and very UV resistant, it also machines well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used Starboard on my raft for my decks. Unless you can attach in a lot of spots it wants to shrink and expand with temperature. My frame has a lot of span between each cross bar it wanted to either bow up or sag. Right know I'm cutting an aluminum plate to go under it a sandwich it to the starboard.
I had Elwood at Plasti-size cut it out for me on his CNC and it does look really nice. He can get Starboard and a lot of other plastics and his cnc is the way to go.
Plasti-Size | CNC Router Plastic Parts and Custom Cut Sheets

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used Starboard on my raft for my decks. Unless you can attach in a lot of spots it wants to shrink and expand with temperature. My frame has a lot of span between each cross bar it wanted to either bow up or sag. Right know I'm cutting an aluminum plate to go under it a sandwich it to the starboard.
I had Elwood at Plasti-size cut it out for me on his CNC and it does look really nice. He can get Starboard and a lot of other plastics and his cnc is the way to go.
Plasti-Size | CNC Router Plastic Parts and Custom Cut Sheets
So, BAD CAT is offering it for the entire floor. Is that a good idea or is it probably all over the place? I sure wish he had good contact info.

·
Registered
165 Posts
So, BAD CAT is offering it for the entire floor. Is that a good idea or is it probably all over the place? I sure wish he had good contact info.
Unless you can attach it in a lot of spots and don't have any spans over 8 to 10". I was really surprised how malleable this stuff is compared to cutting board material.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Think they have a different chemical make up. Give Elwood a call at Plasti-size to make sure. I ran cutting board material for years and it never bowed, sagged or warped. The star board looked like a wet noodle across my boat when it got hot.
The picture is my boat is with the cutting board material on the rear decks and wood up front. My new decks are one piece and go all the way from front to back.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Starboard is used for trim fabrication on boats. Think of shelves inside a center console fishing boat- A tray to hold a piece of electronics that you can cut and mill the hole for a clean finish. It's different from the white cutting board material you see on rafts- not as dense. It's made to be easily worked, UV stable and long lasting. It's a little wimpy for walking board applications on rafts IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts