Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking hard at a Zephyr- wondering if the folks that have them, or similar boats from Maravia- have added D rings or handles? The stock layout looks a little sparse- but if you folks find it's suitable, I'll take your word for it. Just wondering if an addl D ring in the middle, handle at the bow/stern is something you've added, or wished you had? Being a catboater, it's hard to grasp the idea of just 4 straps to attach my frame!

Thanks in advance-

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have one. Very pleased with it as an all rounder type boat. Definitely would add D-rings. I would consider one additional to each the middle outside and inside as frame attachments. I also like, but probably wouldn't do it unless I had a lot of money, d-rings on the inside of the bow and stern. Three, one centered about 6 inches below the top of the tube and the others in line about 18 inches away. Makes a good grab handle on the inside if you use two tight cam straps. I did this on my 18 footer and love it. The four handles are adequate for a 15 footer.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
I have one. Very pleased with it as an all rounder type boat. Definitely would add D-rings. I would consider one additional to each the middle outside and inside as frame attachments. I also like, but probably wouldn't do it unless I had a lot of money, d-rings on the inside of the bow and stern. Three, one centered about 6 inches below the top of the tube and the others in line about 18 inches away. Makes a good grab handle on the inside if you use two tight cam straps. I did this on my 18 footer and love it. The four handles are adequate for a 15 footer.
Did the same, except I put handles on the inside of the bow. One d-ring in the center of the bow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bought a Zephyr last fall and had them add inside bow and stern D-rings, but that is all. Sometimes I think it would be handy to have a handle on the bow and stern but most of the time the four standard handles are enough. I didn't add any additional D-rings to the sides. I use 1 1/2 straps to hold the frame and call it good.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ordered mine new in 2010 and added bow and stern inside d rings, also added extra bow and stern handles. Use the handles a lot, great for stacking boats. If you do order one, spring for the urethane coating on the floor. It should be standard, but was not when I ordered mine. The coating has saved the floor from multiple abrasions that would definitely would have punctured it otherwise. I also had an extra urethane layer on the bottom of the tubes, but they really aren't necessary. Looks cool when its upside down though!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ordered mine new in 2010 and added bow and stern inside d rings, also added extra bow and stern handles. Use the handles a lot, great for stacking boats. If you do order one, spring for the urethane coating on the floor. It should be standard, but was not when I ordered mine. The coating has saved the floor from multiple abrasions that would definitely would have punctured it otherwise. I also had an extra urethane layer on the bottom of the tubes, but they really aren't necessary. Looks cool when its upside down though!
Do you have a sense for how much the urethaned floor increased the overall weight of the boat?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you do order one, spring for the urethane coating on the floor. It should be standard, but was not when I ordered mine. The coating has saved the floor from multiple abrasions that would definitely would have punctured it otherwise. I also had an extra urethane layer on the bottom of the tubes, but they really aren't necessary. Looks cool when its upside down though!
Absolutely not necessary on both parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts