Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new boat and strongly considering a 15' Maravia for our family of 3. My wife and I had a 14' cat that we loved for everything from town runs to long multi day trips. When our little one came along we sold it and got a 16' RMR and hated it. It was big, heavy and rowed like a pig. Turns out we didn't need all that room either, on a 9 day trip we barely made a dent in what it could really carry.

Long story short, we sold that and are in the market for something different. I've got my eye on Maravias Ranger 3 or perhaps the zephyr. Both boats are super similar in dimensions, zephyr is a diminishing boat and the ranger has a more pronounced rocker profile. Anybody out there in buzz land have either boat and can speak to the pros/cons? Photos would be sweet to get a feel for what they look like rigged up.

Really looking for something that is snappy and fun to row like our cat....just round. 馃槄

Premium Member
Never owned either, but was a Maravia dealer 15 years ago. Never liked the diminishing tube designs, the higher rocker on the Ranger 3 will give you a sportier and drier ride where the zephyr will tend to plow into things more. It's truly a matter of personal preference, and you'll find as many for one as for the other as far as opinions go. The best way to define your preference would be to actually row the boat before you buy and see which YOU like. They both would be snappy and fun to row, the ride would be IMHO better in the Ranger. But that's just me.

Hope this helps

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never owned either, but was a Maravia dealer 15 years ago. Never liked the diminishing tube designs, the higher rocker on the Ranger 3 will give you a sportier and drier ride where the zephyr will tend to plow into things more. It's truly a matter of personal preference, and you'll find as many for one as for the other as far as opinions go. The best way to define your preference would be to actually row the boat before you buy and see which YOU like. They both would be snappy and fun to row, the ride would be IMHO better in the Ranger. But that's just me.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply. That was kinda my inclination as well. The rep I spoke with last week was super helpful. She also indicated they could raise the floor up by an inch which also gives the boat a little sportier of a feel. Interesting concept as I didn't realize they could do that. Obviously takes away from interior gear space with tabs, but not sure the reduction from 12" to 11" would make that much difference in gear selection.

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. That was kinda my inclination as well. The rep I spoke with last week was super helpful. She also indicated they could raise the floor up by an inch which also gives the boat a little sportier of a feel. Interesting concept as I didn't realize they could do that. Obviously takes away from interior gear space with tabs, but not sure the reduction from 12" to 11" would make that much difference in gear selection.
Welcome :)

IMO It doesn't.

Maravia typically can build you any design modification you'd like, just not in an off the shelf manner, and simple things like raising the floor a tad typically doesn't cost more. I'm truthfully not sure how much an inch different would affect handling on a loaded boat, but if you used it for a paddle boat, it might make more difference. To my engineering mind anyway, the more flotation you have in contact with the water, the faster turning the boat would be, but I'm a mechanical engineer, and not a fluid dynamics engineer.. At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with a Maravia in my opinion, it's the only PVC boat I'd consider purchasing, and I've rowed a lot of different boat designs in my time.

FWIW, they built some willy's about 20 years ago, that had hellacious rockers, it even looked odd sitting on the floor. I contacted the rep at the time, Chris Frazee, and he told me to inflate it and fill some rocket boxes with sand, and place on the bow for a week. Dropped that bow 6 inches to a more believable angle. They boat didn't seem to handle any differently, but we used it as a paddle boat demo, so it could have possibly made a difference with an oar-frame and load.

Never enough free time
Late to the party but I have a zephyr. I've had it for 4 seasons and have never for a second regretted the purchase. I generally roll loaded for a family of four plus a full kitchen box, stove, groover, etc... I will say that it made for a sporty ride on the grand when compared to big tube 18 footers though :)

Registered
Here's some pics of Zephyrs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts