Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just curious if anyone is running or has run any of Maravia's IK's? I've been doing Google and forum searches for over 2 weeks and haven't really found much (not even a picture!). On one forum a guy referenced Maravia IK's as a "failed kayak"(?). Not really sure what this is in reference to. By the look of the kayak, it seems to be decently made. An old IK comparison ('07) gives the stats for the Maravia Breeze and Breeze II as having 11" tubes, made out of welded PVC, and their respected lengths.
I'm currently at a three way road, either going with a Maravia IK, JPW IK, or a SOTAR Febreezi. Got a line on a decently priced Maravia 12' IK right now, and just trying to find out any more info than what I can get out of the owner. The Maravia website has no info.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My friends and I have been rowing Maravia cats & rafts for a long time, and I don't remember Maravia ever making an IK. Perhaps before my time? At least not in the past 10 years that I can recall. Maybe I missed something? Also not sure what a Sotar Febreezi is either? Never heard of that. Sotar makes an SL IK, ATV, and BMX models. Also, JPW doesn't make an IK. They make a Pack Cat and a Fat Cat, but these aren't traditional IK designs.
Not sure where you are getting your info from???

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
i've only paddled a sotar fabreezi once, and it's a stout boat. a little bigger in most aspects than my hyside paddilac, and fairly bomber (for a pvc boat!!)
can't say i've ever seen a jpw ik either.
good luck!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good friend that I kayak with is running a Fabreezi. I'll probably post some pics of it in the near future, as, there is no info on the internet about them either. They are a custom rig that SOTAR builds by order. 14" tubes with a foam insert in the floor instead of a bladder, 11-1/2' - 12' long, 40 some odd inches wide. It's a bad-butt IK, just large and spendy. JPW's website shows a couple of pics of the IK's that they've built (according to one of their sales people I talked with this morning, they haven't built one in several years). The dimensions they have on their CAD drawings show the tandem at about 13-1/2' long, 40" -42" wide, with 12" tubes. But there are no prices listed or reviews that I can find. The Maravia is even more vague, with only the beforementioned comparison showing any info.

·
Registered
407 Posts
re the above posted comparision chart....

A couple of things that are misleading......
The Force XL is 22.5 inches wide? Really?? I just spent 2 hrs in mine prior to reading this post and am wondering where that piece of info came from.

Also the statement wrt the Tomcats from Tributary being unworthy of having money spent buying them is not true. My paddling buddy has one that is several years old[he got it used] and since its a tandem, he cant carry it but drags it all over.Not a scratch on the bottom to worry about and overall holds air perfectly. Same experience from other Tomcat owners I have spoken to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been running a Tomcat Solo since 2006, and it's been a pretty worthy craft IMO. Not that it has anything to do with the info I'm trying to find out. I'm ready to upgrade to a tandem lengthed IK that's built in the US.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My apologies about the Maravia, Sotar Febrezzi, and JPW IK. Never heard of them, and they aren't on their websites, so my mistake. I asked my rafting buddy about the Maravia, as he has about every boat Maravia makes and has owned Maravias for about 15 years. Here's his answer

"Maravia did make an IK in the early 2000s and it was about 40% cheaper than the Aire Lynx model that I bought (now at $1399.) I didn’t like the Maravia design and I must not have been alone because they don’t make them any more."

·
Registered
536 Posts
i owned a used but nearly pristine maravia ik about 6-7 years ago. only the SB floor had the bombproof,stiff urethane coating. the tubes seemed almost like just a pvc material. one trip down browns at low water and a few modest rock bumps and i was seeing fabric already on them. pretty disappointing durability from maravia, in my opinion. i sold it soon after due to that issue. that's all i got.

here's a crap vid frame from that fishing float down browns...

·
Jared
733 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of a Febreezi, or however it's spelled, anyone got one on here? I've gone kayaking a couple times borrowing a really long boat, and I might have to buy another IK this spring. My wife's gonna kill me :-0

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for relaying your experience, upshitcreek! From the sellers pics of his IK, I couldn't really tell the tube diameter, and he hadn't taken his calipers out to get a measurement. The design looked good however, which is why I was wondering why they hadn't really caught on.

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
here's a pic of on of the fabreezi's we used for a volunteer trip on the verde a couple years ago.
loaded down!!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ben, do you know Dex Allen from Camp Verde? He's one of the River Rangers on the Verde and has probably done the most in promoting and running the Fabreezi's.

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
that's a good picture of dexter, huh!
yeah i volunteered for him 2 years ago clearing tami's on the verde. gonna go do it again this december.
dex is the man, and his crew down there is awesome!!
those fabreezi's are a perfect boat for what they're doing too. i'm honestly not sure how well my hyside would hold up to the abuse their duckies get down there at 200cfs

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I got a ThrillSeeker earlier this year

Not as much use yet as hoped for, but what I have done with it has been really good.

Atilla is extremely easy to work with. Each boat is built to your specifications and sized for what you want to do. There is a waiting period but it is worth the wait for a personal designed and built boat. I understand Atilla puts a urethane coating on the bottom of the tubes.

I was looking at an Aire Lynx and think they are really good boats.

Liked the fact the Snyder Brothers use the Thrill Seekers for low water creek runs in West VA and took a chance on the ThrillSeeker without actually testing one. ThrillSeekers are longer and narrow as compared to most IK's so they are relatively fast as IK's go.

Still like the look of the Lynx but am very pleased with the ThrillSeeker performance both unloaded and was amazed at the load I put on mine and it still performed great for me. Happy with my decision.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dusto,
Dex and all the rangers and their buddies paddle the Fabreezzi- awesome boat for self supported trips. I have a hyside paddillac and it is also great for self support duck trips. The febreezi is a lighter boat to carry- lets say out of gap creek. The padillac is heavier, but bomber. I am doing s verde float this weekend and will post pics of the rig loaded down with gear for 2 of us. You can not go worng with the fabreezi or the paddilac. I personally think, they are a big boat if not carrying gear. I also hardshell except for multiday self supported trips. I paddle the verde often and the southwestern rivers. I think Fabreezi boats are an "AZ thing"

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Topbud, thanks for your .02 man, appreciate it! Have a good trip this w/e. Think I'll start a thread specifically for the Fabreezi. They are under-exposed her on the internet. And I think you're right, they are pretty much an AZ thing, at least as far as I can tell.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts