Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Diablo which works well for a 4 bay frame with smaller boxes and cooler. If I wanted to go wider I'd move up to the Zephyr. That boat is really dialed in my mind and has the additional straight section length you'd likely want to run the bigger/ wider boxes the Willy Willy would take.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Objectively, if you are using cost in your decision making process, you should consider the cost of a frame, and all that is standard on a Salmonfly or Steelhead package.

As well, Streamtech models are designed from the water up as fishing rafts, not whitewater rafts with a frame added. The difference in design and integration of the frame creates the desired performance you’re looking for fishing out of.

Both being built by Maravia, no question about the quality and durability of the raft itself, but if your primary objective is a raft designed for fishing and whitewater, consider the subjective experience of others in your decision.

They look nice, but can’t justify the extra 1.5k over the Willy Willy.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I doubt anyone has ever caught fish out of a Willy Willy. Haha. What others are saying. The Streamtechs are designed to handle a little more like a drift. So more fishing focused while the Willy Willy is more whitewater focused. That's just the rubber discussion though. Lots of thoughts to be had on frames and rigging too that will lend to overnights vs fishing. That said, fish have been slayed out of regular Maravias and the gnar has been ran out of Streamtechs. If you're buying it for taking your family, I don't know how much the intricacies will matter as far as draft and glide. Another idea-if buying new, call Maravia. They can make custom boats too. You might be surprised what they can come up with in terms of width, rocker, tube size, etc in whatever color you want. Buy once...

Having owned a Diablo and currently owning a Zephyr and OG Spider, I'd probably buy a Willy Willy if I could only have one boat. But I don't have to have only one boat so I like my options. My reasons/needs are probably different that the OPs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It does! I’ve taken mine (successfully) down the MF Salmon, Selway, Cabarton on the NF Payette, etc.

How many times have you seen a fiberglass drift boat on those rivers? :)

Would you take a $13k hard boat down those rivers, which also have excellent fishing accessible via Class III-V whitewater?

·
Registered
16 Posts
glass? after redoing the bottom of my 1st hyde i swore id never go glass again
hpde 4 me
roto molded encased foams been my jam for the past 2 decades now

for a lot of river miles of potentially excellent fishing sum of em even excellent catching at time
and i fish way more local still waters these days which it excels at
the tupareware mothership and the JstJ clan have been great to me
ive never been blessed to float any of those rivers i suck at permit lotto but hell yeah im finally to the point of sendin bigger water in it and shoot me an invite or if i ever score im makin somebody carry all my shit

;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts