Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here run the 13x22 Maravia cat tubes and be able to provide any input if these would still be sporty and be able to do 3-4 days on the river with personal camp gear loaded on. We were looking at the Sotar Legend but they are pretty wiped out and out to November on boats. This boat isn’t for me it is for my nephew he is ready for an upgrade from his old cat.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Not really, Ya don't want a cooler or really any gear with real weight like water jugs, groover, fire pan. They all add up fast and ya need to get the load right.. I run a 14x22 Maravia and I keep my gear well under 200 lbs of dead weight. I wouldn't want more than that on a 13x22. Others might, just not me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I was concerned about, him overloading it. He may need a 14’ to carry his gear. I was hoping someone had some pics of one or ran one who could chime in. Are there any Facebook groups for technical questions about raft setup and customizations like where vendors or experts hang out and participate, similar to the offroad group pages? Rafting doesn’t seem to have much social media buzz or manufacturer interaction.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I hear ya about the social interaction. To many of us, this question feels over played. A good google search will result the answers you are looking for. Its just that most new boaters don't want to hear the answers. In the community, its common knowledge that a 14 x 24 cat is the starting point for a gear cat. As far as over nighters go, one could go lean and mean and shit in a 4" pvc pipe or go fat and happy a drop deuce in a Johnny. Its your call.

PS: A November Legend is not a long wait. It you like that cat, why not wait for what you really want?

·
Registered
88 Posts
For better answers, you should probably define the weight of "personal camp gear". That can vary widely depending on style. But I'll agree with DBK, anymore than an extra 200lb on a 22" cat is going to noticeably degrade performance... to the point I'd rather take a raft. The larger tube cats can carry more but tend to lose the sportiness and wouldn't be my choice for day trips. I've owned 12',14' and 15', 22" cat tubes and they all sucked with any kind of real load, just the wrong tool for the job.

Legends and WD's are great for running harder water with a light load. They can handle kayak self support + a little comfort. I can easily support myself for 5 days on a 15' WD but I'm only carrying ~+100lb. If I'm going to float and bloat or be on cl4 or below, I'll take a raft every time.

It may seem slow but don't think you'll find a more knowledgeable group to answer your questions. I'd bet if you asked more technical questions, you'd get the answers you're looking for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think if you go with a 13' 22" cat, he'll be changing to at least a 14' 24" cat after a couple trips. I don't think you'll lose much in the "sporty" department with that change either. Personally, I'd start with the larger cat.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I don't think anything is "sporty" with 3-4 days worth of river gear unless you really go backpacker-style.
Like dirtbagkayaker said, are you willing to poop in a tube and eat Mountain House dinners in the name of sportiness?

How much of his gear are you willing to schlepp so his boat can be sporty?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got it all figured out, like I said this is my nephews boat he is 28 so has plenty of energy still 😁. He goes really light and we all have round boats to help with gear. All of his gear and food weighs about 125 lbs for 4 days

He decided on ordering a Legend as soon as the fall sale hits and is on the list for the new EVO frame when they are ready so the package should come together in time for spring flows! Thanks y'all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts