Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I happened to catch that one also.It was hard to buy into, knowing that the spot that they"flipped" was only about a 1/4 mile from the highway.I guess there is some educational value to some of those types of shows for a fair number of viewers that haven't gotten off their couch and actually done things outdoors.

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
I happened to catch that one also.It was hard to buy into, knowing that the spot that they"flipped" was only about a 1/4 mile from the highway.I guess there is some educational value to some of those types of shows for a fair number of viewers that haven't gotten off their couch and actually done things outdoors.
For entertainment value only. That show and Man vs Wild pretty much break every safety rule in the game. So if a novice person watches those shows and tries to do that on their own without experience or practice, most likely it would be a much more expensive S&R than if they followed the first principal of being lost.... sit tight and wait for rescue.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Kazak is right on - I hate how 'Man vs. Wild' encourages people to do absolutely stupid and dangerous things in the wilderness. It's reckless. And a lot of people watching the show don't understand just how terrible the 'survival' advice is. I also wish that show's like 'I shouldn't be alive' don't include advice on preventing and properly dealing with the situations the people are in. They could be respectful of the people who lived through those ordeals while also giving solid advice on how to best deal with those situations.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Like this genius? "Lund told rangers he had a sleeping bag, tarp and whistle. He said he planned to spend the night on Tuesday even though he did not get the required backcountry camping permit.Lund also told rangers that he had no water."

Rangers Find Missing Hiker In Deep Snow - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

In my grandpa's day that guy would be dead... just sayin'

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moab Daily area, right? I wasn't sure but I thought they were right next to the road! I like how they just let their boat float away, how his life jacket was coming up over his head, and how he teaches the viewers to try to stand up in the current!

Really if you haven't seen this yet, it's hilarious. The turkey hunt with home-made bow and arrows is the best part!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, Near Hittle Bottom.
I know that shows like this are produced with the idea that someone will watch it. ( ie: sell commercials = make money) Are they more dangerous than they are informative? I'd say it's a wash. Some people that watch an episode like this will think, "I'm considering renting a ducky... Hmm, Maybe I should consider hooking up with some experienced boaters, rather than going it alone."
Than you have the group, that regardless whether they get accurate or bogus "survival" advise from a television show, will jump into class III water with their kids, on a Walmart pool toy, and misfitting PFD's (or none at all!). No T.V.show can teach common sense. Hopefully,the best outcome is that some of the viewers will recognize their ignorance, and seek out advice from a knowledgeable local resource.
And yes, the turkey hunt was truly hilarious. At least she's easy to look at!

·
Super Moderator
2,904 Posts
she needs to show a lot more of the lovelies for me to watch that show again. I tought it was pretty bad. Lame even.

Oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts