Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Those don't work for kayaks. Its only about 2 inches of water traveling quickly over a soft foamy surface. Kayaks need more draft then that. Even normal surf boards don't do well on those. THey have to make special ones that are shorter and narrower then the normal variety. That said it would be cool. They have a smaller and wussier version of that at Water World in Thorton, CO, but you could never use a kayak on it. Its just enough to make a boogie board rise up into a plain but not much else. Cool idea though, just wish they could make something that pushed a deeper jet of water.

JH

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Even normal surf boards don't do well on those. THey have to make special ones that are shorter and narrower then the normal variety. That said it would be cool. They have a smaller and wussier version of that at Water World in Thorton, CO,
I'm puzzled - there are several pics of surfers doing very well on this wave. How is it that surfboards don't do well?

Second, 100,000 gallons of H20, and they can't modify it for kayaking? Sounds like simple changes in the hydroengineering to me. . .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Surfboards have fins on the bottom, these waterpark surf waves have only an inch or two of water flowing over them, a real surfboard would bottom out instantly and rip the fins off. If you look at any pictures of these waves you will notice that the riders are not using a regular surfboard, they use a board that is probably a closer match to a skim board in length and width rather than a surfboard. If you had a kayak on one of these waves you would most likely bottom out the second that you tried to do an aggressive carve and you certainly wouldn't be able to bury the nose or tail to do any cartwheels or flips.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd say its only a matter of time before they improve this thing and boaters and regular surfers will be able to do whatever they want.

Looks pretty sick to me, even if you have to use a modified surf board, not a "regular" one. Being 1500 miles from any worthy ocean surf, I'll take it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts