Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I was just wondering what everyones thoughts are on these two boats. The Mamba 8.1 or the Large Burn. I want to get out of my Jefe and into one of those two boats. I am looking for an edgy creakier/river runner. I have boated the Mamba a few times and really liked how responsive this is. I have not had the opportunity to paddle the burn. However, I hear great things and talking with some folks I feel as though the burn may be the way to go. I am want stout edges and a comfortable all around boat.

Any thoughts? Anyone have any personal experience with the two boats? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Gratefully,

Dave

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd go with the Burn. It's not as sluggish as the Mamba. Better edging and response, better plastic, better overall construction. Not saying the Mamba is a bad boat, but I have seen several Mambas that had cracks welded on them.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Every boat ever had cracked. Boats with edges crack easier. If it were me I'd get the mamba. More of a modern design and I think you can save a little money if buying retail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
116 Posts
The plastic on all kayaks is the same, except injection molded boats(Prijon). I'd buy whichever one you fit in better if you think like the way they both paddle. Outfitting still has a ways to go and more features may not mean better and probably means it weighs more.

If you fit in an 8.1, try a M burn too. I had a 2010 L Burn and it was wider and less maneuverable for because the boat was a bit too big.

Put 3" foam on your bulk head when you buy it. Your ankles will thank you some day.

Jason

·
Registered
846 Posts
Doesn't CKS demo? If you are in Salida just go take both out back to back to make the call. Also I think there was a thread this spring discussing this same topic at length (i.e., comparing the new burn and mamba).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Burn. Paddles it for years and love it!! I used a mamba in Oregon this year and liked it a lot too. Fairly similar but I have seen too many dagger boats with holes in them. Everyone might use similar plastic but ask around , "my dagger leaks like a sieve" is a pretty common response.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
501 Posts
Get a Karma

Dave,

I'd say the Burn over the Mamba, but strongly suggest the Karma over either. The new Burn has tried to copy some of the features of the Karma, but maintains some of the old Burn design. The Karma brings the whole package together best. Just accept that if you are smaller, for whichever size of a Karma you chose, you may have to glue some foam thigh hooks in to improve the fit. That is the only issue with Jacksons. Otherwise, the hulls are superior and the bulkheads are the best and safest.

Cheers!

K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts