Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for my first whitewater kayak and looking for some advice on boat size. I've had the opportunity to sit in a lot of boats but paddle only a few. I've more or less decided on the dagger mamba for my first boat, but cannot decide between the 8.1 or 8.6. I am 6' and weight 175-180lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
592 Posts
8.6; I'm 6'3 and about 200lbs

I've been using one this past season and love it. The 8.1 is super snappy, but sits a little low for harder River running in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
417 Posts
mamba sizeing

At 175-180 lbs you may find the 8.1 a touch easier to handle than the 8.6. without giving up any performance. As the above poster mentions part of your decision will also depend upon the difficulty of water you plan to run.I paddle an 8.6 at 205lbs and it is a huge boat. If I was 30 lbs lighter I would go for the 8.1.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Jim, how tall are you?

I would/ and still will paddled that size in the mamba as I drop in weight of the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
182 Posts
8.6 and outfit the hell out of it. I paddled an 8.6 and 5'10" 150lbs and had no problem handling.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends what you are gonna be running. If you are gonna stay in the SE and mostly do rivers, then the 8.1 should be okay. However, if you plan to do bigger water and taking it creeking, that extra volume will help you punch holes. BTW, are you on boatertalk? Much more active for SE boaters. We used to live in Chattanooga.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts