Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem pretty trivial but I was wondering what folks use as their mallet/hammer/sledge for sand stakes? I typically take this with me but noticed it can deform the head of the sand stake. Someone on my last trip had a composite mallet but the handle came off.

Anyone use something they are happy with and has held up well?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Dead Blow hammer. Haven't seen a deformed sand stake using one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What do people use for their stakes? I've looked into Tough Stake but I want to buy something that I can use in tough soil as well. Advice? And where do I buy it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
194 Posts
This may seem pretty trivial but I was wondering what folks use as their mallet/hammer/sledge for sand stakes? I typically take this with me but noticed it can deform the head of the sand stake. Someone on my last trip had a composite mallet but the handle came off.
Anyone use something they are happy with and has held up well?
A rubber mallet seems to work well and is pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A rubber mallet seems to work well and is pretty inexpensive.
My sand stake doesn't have a flat top and I think this is where the issue is. With a rubber mallet it tends to gouge the mallet. I'm thinking that even with a deadblow hammer the same would happen with the plastic/rubber covering on the hammer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Until you find the perfect solution you could always get a piece of firewood and put it on the top of the stake, then pound away with either a rock, mallet, 3-lb sledge, can smasher, or whatever. :)

Or you could just pound it in with a piece of firewood and burn the marred instrument later.

....no wonder kayakers make fun of us rafters...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
ironmanbuilder,
I made up a bunch of sand stakes as you show from stock I ordered on line. Lot cheaper than the commercial versions.

The mallet head gets gouged out pretty fast and I have not used a dead blow hammer but will.

I came up with the same solution Andy H. mentions. IE short piece of plywood left over from another project.

Different ways of carrying sand stakes. The sharp ends need to be protected. I made a carrier out of PVC pipe from Home Depot. These can be attached to a crossbar or just stuffed into a mesh bag.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you can convince the 8.5 month pregnant wife that I should be rafting, then I will gladly stop posting non-sense.
That changes things entirely- Carry on! (and congratulations!)

And a dead blow does seem like the way to go, if whatever primitive club you can round up on the spot wont do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use the 3 lb craftsman dead blow hammer. I use it to pound in the surplus military tent stakes and my sand anchor. The surface of the plastic hammer holds up very well. It only has a few mars on it after all of the use and abuse we give it. I think it would hold up well against ironmanbldrs sand stake but welding a top on it would be more ideal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you have enough length cut off four inches off the top. Flip the piece like on the other sand stakes and bolt the piece on. Or use a scrap piece of steel or alum angle.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Carry a fiberglass long handled claw hammer.

Pound your

into the sand.
If you hit something hard, stop.
Move the stake position or get your one rebar stake for this moment in history,

OR, use your fabric sea anchor as a filled with sand anchor.

=======

I'm a product of the 1960's. I actually believe in diversity.
That includes multi stake camping.

·
Registered
536 Posts

I'll sell you one of these for $24.95 + S&H fees. Made in the USA. 10 year No Fault Guarantee.

Ignore the cheap imitations that line the riverbeds, shoreline and liter otherwise pristine campsites! They are all cheap Chinese imported crap!

I take PayPal too, guys.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts