Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The MS is never too low. Weather should be good. Great trip.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Stunning river with great camps. Black Canyon is a definite scout at low water. Worth pushing on past Carey and run Vinegar, its a hoot. Big Mallard can be a fun read and run at that level but can be scouted on the left. If they are still open check out some of the land and caretakers....I skipped that the first trip and they all seem to be great and kind people with interesting lives.

Also consider going slow at the beginning or taking a few extra days as 15 groups are launching the day before you. The river can absorb a lot of people but the first non-lottery day looks big.

We are still debating the merits of doing a mid-October Salmon run instead of Deso. $$$ is not looking good but we would love to see the clear water up there again.

Phillip

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Stunning river with great camps. Black Canyon is a definite scout at low water. Worth pushing on past Carey and run Vinegar, its a hoot. Big Mallard can be a fun read and run at that level but can be scouted on the left. If they are still open check out some of the land and caretakers....I skipped that the first trip and they all seem to be great and kind people with interesting lives.

Also consider going slow at the beginning or taking a few extra days as 15 groups are launching the day before you. The river can absorb a lot of people but the first non-lottery day looks big.

We are still debating the merits of doing a mid-October Salmon run instead of Deso. $$$ is not looking good but we would love to see the clear water up there again.

Phillip
I agree, except Vinegar rapid comes before Carey Creek take-out. I think you meant....don't take out at Vinegar boat ramp and miss Vinegar rapid. This year's Vinegar at about 2.2-2.3 ft. was the smoothest I've ever run it. Mostly it tries to kick my behind before the take-out. +1 on taking your time. Layover days rock. I'd choose the Main Salmon over Deso any day, but I'm bias because the MS is my all-time fav and first love.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I agree, except Vinegar rapid comes before Carey Creek take-out. I think you meant....don't take out at Vinegar boat ramp and miss Vinegar rapid. This year's Vinegar at about 2.2-2.3 ft. was the smoothest I've ever run it. Mostly it tries to kick my behind before the take-out. +1 on taking your time. Layover days rock. I'd choose the Main Salmon over Deso any day, but I'm bias because the MS is my all-time fav and first love.
Correct......on confusion regarding ramps.

Our first run of Vinegar was following a previous guide (was passing a stone and made us look like chumps) with a quick boat scout. The run went great but he definitely was barn sour and downplayed its intensity in the lead up. It was great to see my wife nail the line in her ducky last year.

Obviously $$ is our biggest factor but I have always wanted to see Deso in the autumn when the cottonwood galleries are turning....plus the 4 hour drive home is pleasant.

Phillip

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Phillip
Where do you go to get this information??

·
Super Moderator
3,048 Posts
Recreation.gov available launches shows 84 out of 99 permits available which means that 15 people have picked up post season permits. Expect a few no shows out of that but that is still a lot of people. The 9th shows 96 permits available which means that you and two other groups have grabbed a permit.

I think you start at around 3,000 feet of elevation and end up below 2K so even though early September it has the potential to be hot. Or snow, it is Idaho after all. Not Africa hot, but can be hot.

Snow….not often that time of year but all it takes is the right cold front and walla….the magic happens. More common to see snow on the Middle Fork. Plenty of calm water between the rapids to relax. As mentioned there are still some fairly serious drops in there so don't get too drunk or complacent.

Advice - take as long as you can and let those groups get out in front of you. If warm the afternoon upstream breezes can still affect your downstream rate of progress. Nothing you can do other than launch earlier if you catch this pattern.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts