Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at doing a small trip (2 people) and one boat on the Main Salmon end of August. Just looking for some beta on sweet small little beaches. Are there any in Black Canyon? I know there are lots below the South fork but what about above?

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are many small beaches that come out that time of year. I would love to do a trip like that sometime. Just the wife and I and go simple and not stress about getting the camp thing figured out and reserved at the ramp. It would be so fun to just roll down and pull in at some of the smaller beaches. I wouldn't stop at Legend creek though, many people stop there to see the pictos behind the camp. Also there is lots of ivy there. I seem to remember a beach just downstream and on the right below the big new rapid (black crk). I've always looked at Sabe creek and wished there was room for a large group. I'd love to hike up there. I think you would be fine to just pick your way down as most groups on the main are large and stick to the well used camps. Plus you would probably have less yellowjackets as long as you stayed away from the popular lunch stops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a solo float with my dog a couple days before the permit season. I ended up camping at beaches that weren't even considered camps. One boat fits into a lot of places most groups can't.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
We took named camps last time as a single boat trip but mostly because we didn't know the river well enough to risk it otherwise. Of the named, I really enjoyed Upper Devil's Teeth; sand and right next to a rapid doesn't get much better in my book.

Best of luck.

Phillip

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Speaking of yellow jackets.... definitely not a problem this year. Or at least they were nonexistent two weeks ago. Really no biters of any kind to speak of. Typical Main Salmon summer.

One boat & two peeps should have no problem this summer with the lower water levels. Have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts