Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
InciWeb the Incident Information System: Mustang Complex Announcement

I'm not sure what this means for MFS salmon boater but Main Salmon boaters can still launch. Boaters should be prepared to launch from Cove Creek instead of Corn Creek for Main Salmon River trips. Permits for this additional river use will be issued at the North Fork Ranger Station.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not sure what this means for MFS salmon boater but Main Salmon boaters can still launch. Boaters should be prepared to launch from Cove Creek instead of Corn Creek for Main Salmon River trips. Permits for this additional river use will be issued at the North Fork Ranger Station.
Where is Cove Creek? The only one that I am framiliar with is on the Middle Fork.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cove creek is about a mile after the second bridge that crosses the river after you turn at north fork, where you cross back to the river right side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone gotten off the Main Salmon in the last few days? Need input on the river conditions and smoke/ash situation. Supposed to launch Friday August 17.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Has anyone gotten off the Main Salmon in the last few days? Need input on the river conditions and smoke/ash situation. Supposed to launch Friday August 17.
My brother did... 3 days ago.

Said they got smoked out on the last day. Said it was getting pretty bad in there.

Also, just by following this stuff here in Idaho... I wouldn't expect it to get any better in the next few weeks. With the Mustang Complex (Salmon), Halstead (Seafoam/Bear Valley area), Trinities (Middle Fork Boise area), and even the Springs fire (Payettes)... these are all at low containment and don't expect to be 50% contained til at least Sept.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is some info I just got in an email, posting it in case anyone else is wondering.

I just spoke with the N. Fk Ranger Station. At this point they are
expecting to have the road open by tomorrow for a Corn Creek launch.
The Mallard fire as of last night was 85% CONTAINED. She stated
depending on conditions, they may or may not utilize a pilot car to
get us through. If we launch from Cove Creek, we’ll have to stop at
Cache Bar (M. Fk take out) for equipment check and Corn Creek for camp
assignments.
She requested that I call her Wednesday evening, and again Thursday
morning prior to leaving. I’ll keep you updated as I know more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. We're supposed to launch August 20. Reconsidering if smoke is going to be with us all the way to Carey Creek. Advice?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've done main in smoke many times. Bees, bears and little respite from smoke. One trick for bees/wasps/hornets is to put mostly empty coke cans around camp so they go in and drown

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey, sorry I misread you earlier. My brother got off the Middle Fork 3 days ago, not the Main.

I would think that once you get past the Mallard fire the first day or so the rest of the trip would be fine???

:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anchorless,

Thanks for the update! I hope it does clear up when the canyon widens. Figured it's smokey here in Boise/Meridian and if I'm going to breathe smoke anyway rather be on
the river!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yesterday everything downstream of the mustang complex was about the same; it didn't really get any better the farther you went. Upstream of the complex it was pretty bad. I wouldn't cancel the trip. There was smoke but is wasn't that bad. Salmon, Challis and Stanley were all worse than the conditions in the canyon downstream of the fires. If the wind changes and moves the smoke west then all bets are off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We took off the Main last Friday. At that time you could see lots of smoke, even taste it in the canyon, but the boating was still fine. The weather was extremely hot, and thus the temps did not drop a lot during the night. If you can stand the smoke, launching from Cove just adds another day to your adventure.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I've done main in smoke many times. Bees, bears and little respite from smoke. One trick for bees/wasps/hornets is to put mostly empty coke cans around camp so they go in and drown
+1 on the crazy yellow jackets. We floated during the fires in 2007 and just about everyone in our group got stung. Those suckers go nuts in the smoke. We also saw a lot more rattlesnakes on that trip. The trip itself was awesome. The smoke wasn't too bad and we had the river to ourselves pretty much. We were a small group, but they let us have any camp we wanted which was nice. One night we sat in camp watching the opposite hillside go up in flames. It was a powerful sight to see. We had no safety issues with the fire. Attaching a few pics from that trip. The fiery sunshine was too cool.

·
Registered
536 Posts
from a mass email + attachment this morning, a few bits of info in there anyway....

"Dear Middle Fork boaters,

Please read the attached information about the Mustang complex fire.

Yesterday afternoon, the Salmon River Road was closed from Cove Creek down to Corn Creek and remains closed until the road can be cleared.

The Middle Fork remains open at this time; however, there is a lot of fire activity happening and boaters need to be prepared for smoky conditions and possible delays. You may want to take extra food, just in case.

You are also encouraged to follow the fire activity on the forest at: InciWeb the Incident Information System: Salmon - Challis National Forest Incidents , especially the Mustang Fire. Fire activity maps and information is being posted as quickly as possible on this site.

Donna

Donna Leuzinger
Admin (River Clerk)
Salmon-Challis National Forest
Middle Fork Ranger District
HC 63 Box 1669, Challis, ID 83226
208-879-4101 * Fax: 208-879-4198
[email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:52 AM
To: FS-pdl r4 s-c
Subject: August 14. 2012 Mustang Complex update. Salmon River Closed at Cove Creek.

It is anticipated that the Salmon River Road will be closed throughout today (August 14) due to debris and rocks blocking the road. A road grader will be working on the road today and the road will be opened as soon as it is safe for travel. For more information, call Karen Dunlap at 208-756-5192.

Karen E. Dunlap
Forest Environmental Coordinator
Forest Climate Change Coordinator
Salmon-Challis National Forest
1206 S. Challis Street
Salmon, Idaho 83467
208-756-5192 (phone)
208-756-5555 (fax)
[email protected]
Planning on the FSWeb"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts