Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Main Salmon Permit for 12 people from June 15th-20th. I am a newer rafter and recently was on the Colorado where I rowed class 4 and 5s. I have a 14' boat and am looking for experienced boaters to mentor/ lead on this permit.

Please email me with your experience level and if you might want to look for a Middle Fork cancellation to combine with this permit.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,049 Posts
Newpaddle,

Welcome to the Buzz and thanks for tossing out the invitation here. Just a bit of clarification: I'll presume the "Class 4 and 5" rapids you rowed were on the Grand Canyon section of the Colorado - is this correct? If so, you'll need to recognize that the Grand Canyon uses a different rating system (ratings from 1 - 10) than all other rivers and recalibrate a bit. Most folks on rivers other than the Grand use the International Scale of River Difficulty. The rapids you rowed are likely to be equivalent to Class II - III by the more widely-used system.

Good luck putting a group together!

-AH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andy. Yes, I am a new rafter and meant in my post that I have rowed class 4/5 s on the Grand Canyon, not on other rivers. I'm learning still. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bill,
I have a kiddo who will still be in school. I'm a single mom and wouldn't be able to rally that fast. My ex is returning from a trip on the 9th. Dang. If you get any other bites, send them my way for my 15th permit. I'm a newbie on the block and would need some experienced boaters to help me put a trip together. Keep me in mind for future trips.

Thanks!

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Hi Bill,
I have a kiddo who will still be in school. I'm a single mom and wouldn't be able to rally that fast. My ex is returning from a trip on the 9th. Dang. If you get any other bites, send them my way for my 15th permit. I'm a newbie on the block and would need some experienced boaters to help me put a trip together. Keep me in mind for future trips.

Thanks!
Welcome to Buzz, it's a good place to do a lot of research. There are a lot of good people here. When you stated class 4/5, like Andy, my eyes widened. Most of the rivers are on class 6 scale. Main Salmon being a 3/4 class.

Putting together a trip isn't a simple task, too many things to take care of. A lot of us have spreadsheets which help you keep it all organized. If you end up being a TL on your trip, I can share some of the pointers on putting the trip together.

Wish I could make it to Main this year, but it looks like I will be skipping this summer. Have a great time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Alex,
I'm definitely looking for a mentor. I've been a hood ornament for years and am now making the leap. I'm super strong and have rowed 15-20 mile days. Clearly I have a lot to learn, but I'm game. If you think of anyone who might be interested, send them my way.
All the Best,
Lee

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this post.

June 15 is still pre-permit. ANYONE can get a permit still. You don't even have to be off the water by the 20th. Anyone launching before the 20th is good to go.

While it is normally laudable to invite others on a permit I guess I'm concerned about the perfect confluence of inexperience here. If somebody volunteers to lead this trip but is so inexperienced that they don't know how the lottery works then it feels doomed.

Let me re-write the post for you:

Newly minted rafter looking to join an experienced group on a pre-season main salmon trip. Recently ran the Colorado and rowed some fo the moderate rapids and got hooked. I booked a permit for a launch on the 15th but am willing to go with an experienced group around that time frame. I have a 14' boat with the following gear ******************. I am absolutely willing to carry the groover and pitch in as much as possible to learn more about rafting. Please 'let me know if you have a group I can join or if you are willing to be the TL on my permit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. The mentoring begins already! I will take your advice and use your rewrite ;)

I have done lot's of groover duty and would gladly carry, and clean poo off of the groover to have an opportunity to learn how to row.

·
Aqua Lung
38 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks!
Bummer, I live on the Salmon. So, you should drop by sometime. I think lower salmon is a great trip, as well as lower Selway. Me on the Lochsa, guiding the brain wave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a Main Salmon permit launching June 15 as well. I am not able to set up your trip for you but we will be only a one or two raft trip ourselves. I am happy to run rapids with you to increase the overall safety on the river.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts