Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Buzzards,

I'm a little early with this, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask . . .

I just picked up a cancellation permit for the Main Salmon with a June 24 launch date. Has anyone heard whether 5 Mile Bar/Buckskin Bill's has any COVID-19 concerns about having people stop by? They are always quite generous to let rafters fill up with water and buy treats at their small store and show off the museum. Anyone have any idea whether they have any COVID-19 related concerns regarding access?

·
Registered
19 Posts
We stopped in there May 19, 2020. Heinz and Barbara are the property owners. Barbara came out to greet us. I asked specifically if it was ok for us to stop. She said yes. The store/museum wasn’t open yet but I’m sure it will be when you go. We have done many trips down the Samon. We still explore his property and always find new things. You can get water there. Always a great place to visit and explore. Polly Bemus had signs on the beach that they are closed. Hope that helps

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
We stopped in there May 19, 2020. Heinz and Barbara are the property owners. Barbara came out to greet us. I asked specifically if it was ok for us to stop. She said yes. The store/museum wasn’t open yet but I’m sure it will be when you go. We have done many trips down the Samon. We still explore his property and always find new things. You can get water there. Always a great place to visit and explore. Polly Bemus had signs on the beach that they are closed. Hope that helps
We launch in 3 weeks.

VERY helpful!

·
Registered
38 Posts
5 Mile Bar

Hey Buzzards,

I'm a little early with this, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask . . .

I just picked up a cancellation permit for the Main Salmon with a June 24 launch date. Has anyone heard whether 5 Mile Bar/Buckskin Bill's has any COVID-19 concerns about having people stop by? They are always quite generous to let rafters fill up with water and buy treats at their small store and show off the museum. Anyone have any idea whether they have any COVID-19 related concerns regarding access?
We stopped there on May 26th. There were no closed signs and the gate from the beach was open. We looked around and filled our water jugs, but did not see anyone. MacKay Bar and Polly Beamus were closed to visitation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We were there June 2nd (day 7 of a 13-day BV Cr/MF/Main/Lower trip) and the museum and store were open (ice, beer, soda, ice cream, etc.). They had a plexiglass barrier up at the cashier but were not wearing masks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We were there June 2nd (day 7 of a 13-day BV Cr/MF/Main/Lower trip) and the museum and store were open (ice, beer, soda, ice cream, etc.). They had a plexiglass barrier up at the cashier but were not wearing masks.
Raft trip? How was Dagger Falls, and how was The Slide?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Raft trip? How was Dagger Falls, and how was The Slide?

4 rafts and 1 kayak (2 rafts took out at Hammer Cr. to skip the Lower).

Dagger Falls (on 5/28 at 4.5' @ MF Lodge) was impressive (right side is the stuff of nightmares) but straightforward if entered on the left in either raft or kayak. Shore and POV footage of my kayak run:

https://youtu.be/DhbnaS8I9pY
https://youtu.be/gMYuF27nO3M

Slide was huge at these flows (45k cfs @ Whitebird). There was a reasonable kayak line on the left, and *if* you could hit that line in a raft you would be unlikely to flip. But you'd have to be better rowers than any of us to reliably hit that line. Thus a flip is much more likely than not. Passengers walked and the two of us that rowed the rafts through both flipped, but the "AutoRights" that our friend Rocky has been working on worked well, and we were back upright within several seconds. Rocky should be sharing the footage of that soon, but it is embargoed while he sorts out patent issues...

My writeup on FB: https://www.facebook.com/keith.richardsdinger/posts/10220294896396885

1 - 7 of 7 Posts