Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boat Wood Tree Watercraft Mountain
So, I’m just back today from a trip on the Main. I launched on the eighth, Shoup flow was 980. Middle Fork flow was 400.
It started raining the day I launched, and didn’t stop for five days. I’ve never been so cold in my entire life. Most of the rapids were a moderately bony version of their normal selves; but Black Canyon definitely wanted a right side run, and Vinegar definitely wanted a hard left side run.

There was only one other party I met on the river. They brought a Luxe style tent with a wood stove. I’m ordering one tomorrow. Tenting up at 8pm, and staying there for 12 hours was a special sort of torture.
Mine was a solo trip. Rubicon Outfitters did my shuttle. The “other guys’ were totally uninterested in making the trip happen. Dave went way out of his way to accommodate my plans, and whatever I asked, it was fine with him. He’s definitely my go-to company now.

Lake Salmon isn’t a four mile row right now. It goes almost all the way to Vinegar. Almost 30 miles of stroking. Cramer was a small 2, Vinegar a pushy 2.
I originally intended to row to Riggins and take out at the town park ramp. That’s where Dave was going to leave my truck. However, I was so cold by the time I got to Cache Bar, that I flagged a guy down and asked him to call Dave and see if he could bring my truck to Cache. The call got through to him just as he was sitting down to a taco dinner his wife had made for him, but he piled in the truck and drove up anyways. In the world of doing someone a favor, that’s right up there with donating a kidney. Awesome guy.
There’s some bad news of a fatality at Cache Falls. Apparently a guy without a pfd. And less than a mile from the takeout? What a horror for those folks.
Water Mountain Sky Water resources Cloud

Plant community Tent Ecoregion Plant Tarpaulin

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have a seek outside cimmaron with wood stove and a seek outside 12 man with woodstove. they are a complete game changer.. However if you want one don't expect to get in for at least 2 to 4 weeks for some models.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a seek outside cimmaron with wood stove and a seek outside 12 man with woodstove. they are a complete game changer.. However if you want one don't expect to get in for at least 2 to 4 weeks for some models.
At this point I’m going to be needing it for next year. Are there any flaws with the 12? I’d love to see any pictures of your tent, if you have some. It would have changed everything to be warm and be able to walk around a bit of an evening!
I took off the river yesterday evening, I’m at home with my wood stove just blasting. No exaggeration I’m shivering as I write this. WTF.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Re: fatality - I’m guessing you meant Carey Falls?

I’ve only been on the Main during high water. I’d love to get a low water trip in. Looks like a goodtime!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
At this point I’m going to be needing it for next year. Are there any flaws with the 12? I’d love to see any pictures of your tent, if you have some. It would have changed everything to be warm and be able to walk around a bit of an evening!
I took off the river yesterday evening, I’m at home with my wood stove just blasting. No exaggeration I’m shivering as I write this. WTF.
The main flaw is it's footprint and setup.. It's 19 feet across, so you need a big space to set it up. you can comfortably fit 4 roll a cots and the stove in there and still have a lot of room to walk around. here is a link to the VR look around for all of their tents... i think a 12 man is a bit much for setting up and taking down daily.. I usually use it as a base camp when hunting and then do pack in's with my cimmaron or my friends redcliff.. the 8 man might be a better option. https://seekoutside.com/shelters-in-360-vr-look-around-views/

·
Registered
Hyside Max 12, Dagger Genesis, Dagger Quake, Blue Hole OCA
9 Posts
Glad you made the trip! I just got off a Main on Oct 2nd. We were lucky to only have one day of cold rain and 6 sunny-ish warm-ish days. I’m surprised to hear you went right on Black Creek. All 10 of us looked at it and only saw a left run but I know which rocks coming out would make that problematic.

We actually pulled out the same day as those folks who had the fatality. Talked to them on Friday when it supposedly happened and somebody in our party said,”I can’t tell if they are super out of it or super hammered.” We saw them on the water without PFDs and commented on that as well. When we were driving out we spoke with them and they said they “lost someone” and we weren’t sure what to think of that but didn’t expect the worst. Super unfortunate accident.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad you made the trip! I just got off a Main on Oct 2nd. We were lucky to only have one day of cold rain and 6 sunny-ish warm-ish days. I’m surprised to hear you went right on Black Creek. All 10 of us looked at it and only saw a left run but I know which rocks coming out would make that problematic.

We actually pulled out the same day as those folks who had the fatality. Talked to them on Friday when it supposedly happened and somebody in our party said,”I can’t tell if they are super out of it or super hammered.” We saw them on the water without PFDs and commented on that as well. When we were driving out we spoke with them and they said they “lost someone” and we weren’t sure what to think of that but didn’t expect the worst. Super unfortunate accident.
We ran into them, as well. One boat was stuck at the to f Growler. The guy on the oars had no PFD. The gal, with PFD, got out and pushed him off the rock, then swam Growler head first. We had pulled over to help them, but they didn't so much as wave at us. Very bizarre. Couldn't tell if they were drinking hard. Sounds like they flipped in Vinegar, but stopped at Carrey Falls.

·
Registered
792 Posts
There's a seekoutside cimeron (sp) on c.l. right now. Wish you would have asked me bro dude! I have a seekoutside wall tent and stove I would've borrowed you!! I got it for hunting and winter camping but used it on an early season smith. They work good to blast heat not so much for consistent long heat but really good for hot a.f. lol!! If you score a shelter you can always borrow the stove too. My whole deal is about 10lbs so not a ultra light thing but for a tent that sleeps four and gets warm it's perfect for snowmobile or boat. We hiked it in before too but not far lol. Glad to see you've carried on your tradition of "suffering " lol!!

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Charlie. There’s been way too much cold and snow in my boating year this year.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How well does that black Diamond tent breathe/ vent In the rain? Cool TR, thanks for sharing.
That model is the original Bibler El Dorado, before BD bought them out. They’re warm since they have the lining inside. That keeps any condensation from building up and dripping off of the interior. It’s more of a snow/ expedition tent, but it handled the rain very well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The left side has several dry rocks in the channel to avoid. I didn’t want to be getting hung up on anything, being solo. The right side is cleaner...with nothing completely exposed. Just hug the rockpile until you have to line up for the drop. Then it needed a push right.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
There's a seekoutside cimeron (sp) on c.l. right now. Wish you would have asked me bro dude! I have a seekoutside wall tent and stove I would've borrowed you!! I got it for hunting and winter camping but used it on an early season smith. They work good to blast heat not so much for consistent long heat but really good for hot a.f. lol!! If you score a shelter you can always borrow the stove too. My whole deal is about 10lbs so not a ultra light thing but for a tent that sleeps four and gets warm it's perfect for snowmobile or boat. We hiked it in before too but not far lol. Glad to see you've carried on your tradition of "suffering " lol!!
Those tents with walls take more time to set up with the guy lines...but give you a ton more useable space inside once set up since there's no taper down at the floor. Better for cold/hanging out...not as good for pouring rain since you're outside standing in it more.

Like Charlie said, small stoves don't hold heat well since they can't hold large logs..but they can definitely blast heat and dry everything out. Not so bad being in a tent when it's chilly and all your stuff is dry.

I made a 10'x10' x 8'h pyramid with a small stove. Gamechanger/lifesaver for our rainy mid-June 2020 trip last year when my wife was soaked and freezing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We ran into them, as well. One boat was stuck at the to f Growler. The guy on the oars had no PFD. The gal, with PFD, got out and pushed him off the rock, then swam Growler head first. We had pulled over to help them, but they didn't so much as wave at us. Very bizarre. Couldn't tell if they were drinking hard. Sounds like they flipped in Vinegar, but stopped at Carrey Falls.
Just to clarify, it sounds like there were multiple instances of people seeing them without PFDs on. Was that the cause of the fatality as well? Did they run Vinegar or Carey without PFDs? Just curious if anyone can clarify a bit more, or if it is just not clear yet.

I am also wondering what peoples' opinions are on not wearing PFDs. When it comes to moving water, even class I, I'm a huge fan of maintaining the PDF requirement for all participants in my group (if I'm trip leader). I don't want to judge those who don't wear them for certain aspects of flatwater/class I stuff, its just that even in class I if there is fast current bad stuff can still happen. Over the last 5 years for me, the scariest moment on all of my river trips (mostly class III and some IV - lots of multi day and day trips) occurred on class I moving water just by happenstance and without any warning (about 5-10 seconds of terror but was fixed before the individual got hurt). The trip member was wearing a PFD, but I just say this to show that bad stuff can happen anytime and without warning, even on easy stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 70654 So, I’m just back today from a trip on the Main. I launched on the eighth, Shoup flow was 980. Middle Fork flow was 400.
It started raining the day I launched, and didn’t stop for five days. I’ve never been so cold in my entire life. Most of the rapids were a moderately bony version of their normal selves; but Black Canyon definitely wanted a right side run, and Vinegar definitely wanted a hard left side run.

There was only one other party I met on the river. They brought a Luxe style tent with a wood stove. I’m ordering one tomorrow. Tenting up at 8pm, and staying there for 12 hours was a special sort of torture.
Mine was a solo trip. Rubicon Outfitters did my shuttle. The “other guys’ were totally uninterested in making the trip happen. Dave went way out of his way to accommodate my plans, and whatever I asked, it was fine with him. He’s definitely my go-to company now.

Lake Salmon isn’t a four mile row right now. It goes almost all the way to Vinegar. Almost 30 miles of stroking. Cramer was a small 2, Vinegar a pushy 2.
I originally intended to row to Riggins and take out at the town park ramp. That’s where Dave was going to leave my truck. However, I was so cold by the time I got to Cache Bar, that I flagged a guy down and asked him to call Dave and see if he could bring my truck to Cache. The call got through to him just as he was sitting down to a taco dinner his wife had made for him, but he piled in the truck and drove up anyways. In the world of doing someone a favor, that’s right up there with donating a kidney. Awesome guy.
There’s some bad news of a fatality at Cache Falls. Apparently a guy without a pfd. And less than a mile from the takeout? What a horror for those folks.
View attachment 70658
View attachment 70667

[/QU
I appreciate hearing about your trip. The main is great for solo rafting. Last year I was fortunate enough to run the middle with friends and then turn the corner alone all the way to the Snake in Sept. You definitely need to enjoy rowing to cover all the flat water and raise the bar about what risks are taken. I had much better weather than you, and after reading the responses to your trip have decided that I want a tent with a stove for the shoulder season.

This year I had a Middle-Main and out to the Snake planned but the fire changed the Middle plans. I picked up a Sept 1 Main permit on short notice. We launched with 1615 cfs at corn, shoup + middle conflunce. I rowed a 136dd and my friend had a sotar cat. No passengers and planning to go to Heller bar over 18 days. We had a great trip spending 8 days on the permitted main w lots of hiking.

We ran Black creek on the right. We decided right because the left had a few holes with rocks below that were starting to show. I worried about swimming the rocks as that looked scary. I knew I could easily make the right run and swim it if I were kicked out. We did so and it was easy. Another group new to the river followed us with no problems. Right behind us a third group ran the left without scouting. They didn't have any problems either. After watching them I still would have gone right.

They only rapid that gave us any trouble was Growler or little Growler or below Growler. Not sure where it was but I entered left and worked back to center, reading and running, only to find a good sized rock in my path that I couldn't miss and I tried. I went up on it and spun off. Really annoying. The cat behind me couldn't avoid it either even after I warned her of it. Below us were a few other boats and they mentioned that they all hit the rock too and couldn't avoid it. Got to love low low water!

We put the time into scouting Vinegar and am really glad we did. I had only run it a few times and last year at the same time of year I ran right with out scouting. The only run I could see at all was start left and stay left running a few small holes. It felt easy as we bumped down the left side.

I'm planning another middle main and on for next year but also looking into a run from Stanley. It seems the shoulder seasons are my go to trips these days.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
This year I had a Middle-Main and out to the Snake planned but the fire changed the Middle plans. I picked up a Sept 1 Main permit on short notice. We launched with 1615 cfs at corn, shoup + middle conflunce. I rowed a 136dd and my friend had a sotar cat. No passengers and planning to go to Heller bar over 18 days. We had a great trip spending 8 days on the permitted main w lots of hiking.
What was Snow Hole like at those flows?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts