Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a cancellation for July 23rd (5 nights). So far just my family is committed, but wife is afraid to go solo. I am looking for 1 or 2 families with kids 10-14 years of age.

If you have kids that age, enjoy civil family floats and can make those dates work, please PM me for further details.

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Alex, we did this last year with kids. With the flows you will have on the Main this year, I would think you would be fine. There was nothing of real consequence, and I know you are a pretty competent boater. I think the yellow jackets were the biggest issue. We wish we had an epi pen. We are putting in on the Lower Salmon on 7/3. Interested?

·
Registered
258 Posts
You will have a great time on the main. I hope you are able to get some other people to go. Again, the yellow jackets will be an issue. Everyone in our group got stung last year. If you are a smaller group some of the smaller less used camp sites will have less yellow jackets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lower Salmon?

We are doing The Main on the 16th to 22nd. I have a 9 and 7yo. Is the Lower Salmon chill for that age right now. I did it 2 years ago at low flow (no hole at Slide), and it seemed chill then. The only one I would have them walk around is snow hole. Easy move, but nasty if not made. What are your thoughts on the Lower with kids my age.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm finding this super intriguing! We have 3 kids 9 13 and 16. But would probably only bring the two older as I don't know if my wife could make it. We have a 156 Aire. What would the shared costs be beyond the shuttle?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's obviously a private trip, Paul. So I do not charge anything on top. Shuttle is handled per family. Food wise, I usually split the meals equally and call it good. If the people aren't happy with that, then count up the cost of all food, divide it by spots and then pay per spot food cost. Other than that, it's $24 per person for the Main permit. I personally don't consider propane, tp and such as an expense, especially with smaller groups.

So $24 per spot + $350 shuttle + gas money + food expense (my usual trips are usually $100-130 bucks per family)

Hope that helps. PM if you have more questions or need more info

·
Registered
858 Posts
I so wish I could do it, but it's not looking like I can swing that much time off in July.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
129 Posts
Darn! If it were only 2 days earlier. We have been trying to get back on the MS for several years to no avail. Once again a timing issue. We have a 10yo son and wish we could go but my wife has to be back by Sunday.

We line right up with your beliefs on shared/non-shared expenses. Pay your own shuttle, Prepare your assigned meals as though your are inviting people over for dinner (regardless of what they fix or what you fix, I'm good with it all). It's too much of a hassle to figure out how to split costs to the penny.

Hope you a have a great time Kazak.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nice pick up on the cancelled permit Alex. Really want to get back up to the Salmon, but will have to settle for Lodore this summer. (and Deso in the fall)). Have a great trip.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Wish I could. We just spent four days going from North of Salmon to Corn Creek. I so wanted to continue on, even with the over 100F temps they said we had. We had a blast and new river for me except confluence to Cache.

Even if I could swing the time my wife and kids will be visiting some of her family at that time.

Have fun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Last year we had a Main Salmon permit for early August, three boats, five people. At Corn Creek, we were advised not to camp in the larger sites due to the yellowjacket problems. We are fortunate enough to find lots of little spots that accommodated us nicely, thus missed the yellow jackets. The campground at Corn Creek was horrible though. In previous years, we've always had an early August launch date, and always lucked out as being either the only launch that day, or having to share with one other group. Last year I think there were two commercial groups plus all the private slots were filled-chaos city!

Have fun!:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts